Warning: This post contains swearing. Read at your own risk of hellfire and damnation.
I'm a 3rd generation swearer. I guess it could go back even further than that, but that's not something generally recorded in genealogy books. My grandparents on my mom's side are hilarious swearers. Their swearing is never crude or crass; I've always found it rather quaint and charming. Paul loves to quote my grandpa, who once quieted down the beginning of a family gathering by saying, "For hell's sake, someone say the damn prayer!" My grandma's favorite phrase is probably "hell's bells" or "ah hell, Don" when she's chiding my grandpa, which is constantly. It's sort of a love swear, in my mind. Sometimes I say, "ah hell, Don" to Paul. Once when I was about 10 and playing at their house, I cut my ankle really deeply on one of their sprinklers. When I showed the gushing blood to my grandma - my tiny, sweet, sweet, funny grandma, she let loose a torrent of swears that simultaneously shocked me and made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. She was really upset about me getting hurt, and I knew how much she loved me.
My parents don't like to admit this publicly, but they are swearers, too. Once again, none of the really bad ones, just the old standbys. They applied to be on the Amazing Race, but were kind of relieved when they weren't chosen, because they knew they would have a hard time reigning in their swears. That's not really something my dad would like his coworkers at the Church Office Building to see. As a youngster I was very prudish and embarrassed by their swearing. Once when I was 11-ish, my dad was part of our Primary sledding activity. Some idiot on a snowmobile came racing through our big group of kids and it made my dad so angry he yelled after him, "ASSHOLE!" at the top of his lungs. I was mortified back then, but now I think it's funny and somewhat appropriate. That guy was a freaking asshole. For real. Then there was our infamous trip to Disneyland when I was 14, which probably should have been called, "The week-long bad mood in California." Jaime and I indignantly kept a running tally of my parents' swear words. I think the number per day averaged to about 17. It was a stressful trip. Wow, we were being turds. I see it now. Sorry mom and dad. If I recall correctly, their favorite swear was "dammit to hell" which packs a powerful two-swear punch, but I've always wondered, what (the hell) does that swear even mean?? It makes no sense.
So now it's my turn to confess. I tend to swear now and then (or 17). When I stub my toe, or something really aggravating happens, it just feels better to let it out. Apparently my kids have noticed, though, and are trying to reform me. Maddie gave an FHE lesson the other night, and she wanted to list problems in our home and come up with solutions for them. She said that Paul and I should stop swearing and watching bad movies. "Ah hell, Don," I said. Paul said, "Our movies aren't that bad, it's just that they're for grown-ups, like maybe someone gets murdered and chopped up into a million pieces. That's not bad." Good point. Another problem that was brought up was the yelling. The kids are always yelling at each other, and I'm not sure where they get that (coughpaul). So my solution was a yell jar, where if somebody yells, their name gets put in the jar, and at the end of the week we draw a name and that person has to do an extra chore. We were thinking of a name for the jar, and the kids decided on "The Yelly Jar." But I think it should be the "Hell's Bells, Stop the Yells!" jar. Yes? Yes.

21 comments:
Love this post! Chubby neighbor Boy is constantly telling my sons that they need to put money in his families swearing jar.
We tried a push-up rule, we were supposed to do 10 push-ups for cute appropriate swears and 20 for crude inappropriate swears. After one day everyone's arms were so sore we had to think of another plan...we're still thinking, and dammed if we can come up with one.
The Yelly Jar works except when Oliver comes to us and asks if he can put his name in the jar. "I really did yell, Dad!"
Ah, Mandi. I love this post so much it hurts. Now I don't feel quite as guilty. ;)
There is no acronym for how much I am laughing. Love it! My dad inherited his parent's swearing too.
i have inherited the taylor famly swearing as well my favoright grandma saying is dammit don we say that one alot around here
Oh Mandi...you crack me up. However I was thinking this was going to be another Oliver post and was waiting for the 4th generation swearing story.
We had a swearing jar at one of my jobs one time. We each had to put a quarter in it each time we swore. It didn't last very long...we were all broke from adding money.
I thought I was the only cusser. I tend to be an under-the-breath type of cusser but when no one's around I swear out loud. My sweet mom is known for saying hells bells and for hells sake. Love this post.
I so wish I was at that Primary activity when your dad swore. Hilarious.
Kent went through the "fix my parents" phase when he was young too. He made a tally of their swears and once they hit a specified point he packed his bags and decided to run away. Pat and Brent asked him where he thought he was going to go and when he replied "to zak's house" -they just laughed and told him it wouldn't be any better.
Oh man, you're funny.
I have to admit that the swearing kind of makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I wish you could of heard Wilda - she was the QUEEN! Pat and I laugh and get misty at the memory. There is no good substitute for DTH on the golf course!
I have tears... that makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I also inherited the swearing gene. I have let a few fly at YW's - it's so embarrassing. But what do you say when you almost run into another car with a car full of teenagers? It just happens.
My poor kids have no hope. Me and JED? Yikes.
HA!! LOVE this post. LOVE it. And the comments too. Hear! Hear! (Granted ... Tyler doesn't EVER swear, so my kids have hope yet). Aaron said -- so sincerely -- to me (at age 2 ... regarding his tomato soup) - "This is so damn good, Mom! Thank you!" :) - my kids are VERY anti-swearing now ... and let me know regularly ... that's a good sign, right?
Mandi, Larry just called me to the computer to read your post and I have never laughed so hard and I really needed that!!! THANKS!!!I also came from a family where shit, damn and hell were fair game. Even my Saintly Grandma Stone would say those swear words and she, I'm sure, did not even have to be stopped at the pearly gates! They just knew she was coming and the gates were wide open.
As Tiff said our favoite Grandma Taylor swear is "Damn It Don" because she says that at least 3 times each time we go there. It also applies to Larry who is Lawrence Don and Lenny who is Leonard Don. Amanda would not have anything to do with giving her 1st and only son the middle name of Don! Sometime I need to tell you a story of a lady swearing in the Temple as she fainted it is hilarious!!! Great Post Keep them coming!!! I need my daily laugh!!! Love Ya, Aunt Cindy
Hi Mandi, Uncle Larry here! I have to say I have the same problem, well my gene pool is the Taylor Family! I got fired from the High Council and from teaching Gospel Doctrine because of the swearing!
When I first started working at the Mirage Hotel I was in the Bishopric and I had a good handle on the swearing thing. Everyone I worked with knew I was a man of God and I still am even if I swear! Now as I paint the crosswalks and lane lines on the Mirage property roads and the Taxi drivers and bus drives drive over my cones and on the wet paint I flip them off and yell you ASSHOLE that paint is wet...can't you read!! So they can hear it loud and clear!
People are always shocked and confused when I tell them that my nickname from dad growing up was "Little Sh**". I don't think they understand the endearing nature of it...
Mandi,
I can't believe I would do that in front of a group of primary kids! I do remember though. Thanks for sharing with the world. My swears are mostly confined to driving and golf at this point. Sometimes when I go golfing with one of my friends from work, a swear will slip and I just hope he is far away. It just a hard habit to break. Thanks for carrying on the tradition. Maybe your kids will end the streak.
Oh, by the way Zak, I didn't know that was your nickname. However, sometimes you could be a little sh** during your "I don't want anything to do with Dad" years. Oh the pain we endure as parents!
Uncle Larry commenting (and swearing) on my blog?! AWESOME!
Thanks for all your funny comments, everyone!
Our family geneology does track swearing. We have several "bastards" listed. Speaking of Bastards. That's my favorite swear. My grandpa used that word regularly when referencing the government or other big brother type organizations. His favorite phrase was, "Don't let the Bastards get you down". My aunt has it needlepointed on a pillow. What a sweet sentiment. My Dad no longer swears but doesn't remind us now and again that if he does it will fall in the "shit fart and damn" category. I unfortunately fall in the Sailor category. I don't use the fdashdashdash word though thank goodness.
My favorite swear besides bastards comes from a story I've told a million times, but never fails to amuse me, is the time Tom dropped off stuff at the DI, in apparently the wrong place so a "special" worker said, "OVER HERE DUMBASS!"
Once I got paid to take care of crazy people. Two of these crazies were elderly females, and they were roommates. Eunice had no speech volume control and would have to swear at least once per sentence. If I asked Carla how she was doing, she would inevitably say "fine, but..." and then give me an update on what her latest bowel movement looked like. She would then be interrupted by Eunice-
"Shut UP, CARLA!!!"
pause.
"YA BITCH!!!"
This exact same dialogue occurred maybe thrice a day.
A few years back.
For the 10yr in a row my hubby horrifficaly installed our swamp cooler. I was amazed when he did it the last time the entire process went off without a single swear. prior years all the biggies were flourid with in our walls.
great post.
Luvs
Suz
Post a Comment