1.28.2010

PSA

Our fridge just died, and the first question the repairman asked was, "When's the last time you cleaned the coils on the bottom of your fridge?" Paul and I said in unison, "Ummm....never?" He shined a flashlight underneath our fridge to take a look, and it was clear that we were telling the truth. It was SCARY down there. So how the heck are we supposed to clean those? He told us you can get a special coil brush that fits under there, and you're supposed to scrub them down every 2 - 3 months.

So I want to know, DOES EVERYONE BUT ME KNOW THIS??? How come I have never heard that I'm supposed to clean my fridge coils? I swear I learn everything the hard way. Our less than 10 year-old fridge has bit the dust for good. We had to buy a new one last night.

Happy Birthday Paul and Mandi!

Thanks Universe!

15 comments:

Linz said...

Um... coils?

Kent and Leisy said...

I'm pretty sure that those are the types of things that make me never want to own a home. I'm happy renting forever and never cleaning our landlord's fridge coils :)

sugarbritches said...

Are you freakin kidding me??!!! Clean UNDER MY FRIDGE?? Is that even possible? Who the hell does this? I feel good when I clean the front of the fridge. Let's just consider our fridges a 10 year investment and call it good.

Prilla said...

It seems to me that I remember something about Paul being a refrigerator salesman in his past life. Was that him or someone else? You would think that if we are supposed to be cleaning those coils that HE out of all of us would know that.
Our fridge died over the summer and so we had to get a new one as well. I think I do remember the salesman saying something about the coils, but I think he was saying that they needed to be professionally serviced once a year or something.
There is a good possibility that my once pregnant brain and now mommy brain of 3 has both of those statements completely wrong. Good luck!

Pam and Rand said...

Yes - dad & I did learn the hard way about fridge coils. Yes we do have the special brush. I think we remember to use it about every five years. What fridge did you get?

Jeni said...

I heard something about the coils on your dryer. I heard about a dryer that caught fire because the coils weren't cleaned. Our dryer is about 20 years old and sometimes it smells hot. I need to clean the coils but I don't even know where to look to find them. And what do coils look like? The way they sound? Like coiled up metal?

Jeni said...

(not "your" coils- "one's" coils. Just wanted to clarify. I haven't heard anything about "your" coils.)

Angie said...

Great. Another thing to add to my list of home maintenance items which I am seriously never going to do. Who has time for that? I have novels to write, people!

Kent and Leisy said...

jen- you can see those very coils on our blog right now. luckily replacing the coils was much cheaper for us than replacing a fridge!

Montgomery Q said...

Yep, I sold large appliances at Circuit City. I had to go to a week of training in CA. It was never mentioned that one would have to cleanse a single coil.

My favorite fridge type is Amana. The new one's an Amana. Made by the Quakers in PA. This would be neat, except for our old one was an Amana. My wife's name is Amanda.

tiffany said...

what are coils?

Pat and Brent said...

Thanks for the reminder - Brent used to clean the fridge coils quite often when we were living in Orem but hasn't since we moved. He got right in there and got them all dusted. Maybe this fridge will last 11 or 12 years.

Larry and Cindy said...

Seriously...I have been married for 40 yes FORTY years and no one has ever ever ever mentioned to me about cleaning coils!!! Our fridge is an Amana as well and my daughter-in-law is named Amanda also. Our fridge is almost 13 years old. I just asked Larry if he knew you are supposed to clean the coils under your fridge and he said "YES" but I have never-ever seen him clean them!!!

susan said...

Every comment I can think of sounds dirty...


What the hell is wrong with me.

susan said...

Sorry for your loss!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com