Well, it's that time. Time for our bazillion apples to fall on the ground and rot, followed by a massive fruit fly infestation. Ok, that was the first year we lived here. The second year we picked them up off the ground and threw them away. The third year my visiting teaching partner (aka Polygamist hair) asked if she could pick some and make applesauce out of them. "Sure!" I said. "We probably won't even use them." Then her husband came and picked both of our trees clean. EVERY SINGLE APPLE. And they didn't even give us one token jar of applesauce. Why was I bugged by that? They surely would have just ended up rotting on the ground. But still....rude.I've always had a fear of our homegrown apples and refuse to eat them or feed them to my kids. Maybe it's because we never fertilized or sprayed them, and most of them had worm holes. Yeah.....that's it. But this year we did. WE DID! We fertilized and sprayed them several times, in fact. And now we have huge, non-gross apples bursting from our trees. We also have lots of delicious tomatoes from our garden. And what would a Dorothy Hamill haircut mom from the late 70's do?? She would CAN THAT CRAP! I'm thinking back to my childhood friend's mom - she was a canning maniac, and we would help her shell huge bowls of peas and make fruit leather, she dried their clothes on a clothesline, they always drank gross powdered milk, and my friend only wore homemade hand-me-downs. I always thought she was weird, but now I am in awe of her. YOU GO DOREEN!
I have never canned anything, so I decided to read through some canning websites before I bought all the equipment. There was all this stuff about high-acid, low-acid foods - don't upset the delicate balance or they'll spoil, buy a food mill to make applesauce, don't make Granny Smith apples into applesauce because you'll have to use tons of sugar (our apples are Granny Smith), pressure canners are better for tomatoes since there will be less chance of spoilage, get your pressure canner checked at the county extension office so it doesn't blow up and kill you......head hurting, spinning........ Then I checked Amazon to buy the equipment - pressure canner, canning tool kit, canning book, and food mill would total about $150.
So I asked Paul, "Should I spend $150 on canning stuff?"
"Yes," he said without hesitation.
I went back to the canning website and looked at pictures of peeled, whole tomatoes floating in glass jars. "Hey, Paul. Would you eat canned tomatoes?""No."
"How about canned applesauce?"
"No."
"Hmmm." (Pause.) "Me neither."
Canning dilemma solved.
Now what to do with all of our apples? I think I'll make caramel apples and the kids can have an apple stand. Our neighbors down the street sell cotton candy. Let's get someone on popcorn duty! It's gonna be a carnival up in here.

25 comments:
First, let me applaud you on your wonderful title. I love it. It made absolutely no sense when I first read it, but then made perfect sense after. Its genius!
That said, I was one of the kids that wore hand me downs and had to help mom can (or dry) all the 3 million fruits or veggies. I hated it so much that I refuse to do it now.
I do, however,love caramel apples and will gladly come over and help make them (if I can bring the kids too)!
So I have some friends that are huge canners and have tried to get me into it as well. So I have done a little, and found out it is much easier to just go and buy it. And cheaper...I might add. However, I love dried apples. It is a good snack. So I say if you invest in anything, it should be a dehydrator. But I'll come over for caramel apples too. :)
Mandi, I Love your solution to the whole apple / tomatoe problem! You are such a cute fun girl!!! Carmel Apple Stand (who would have thunk it?) YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!! lOVE ya, Aunt Cindy
Little do you know that only 10 seconds before reading your post I was lamenting to my sisters about my strange primal urge to can every fall. Instead of writing a comment longer than your post.....I have decided to include my thoughts on my own post I planned to do on canning. Unfortunately, your post has a much happier ending than mine. Stay tuned.
Canned tomatoes are GOOD. Pop a jar open in front of the TV and THEN enjoy. I like to eat with chopsticks. Just me and my jar of canned tomatoes. And my chopsticks. And the TV.
Mmmm- you can make apple crisp. Super easy and there is nothing better on a cool fall night than warm apple crisp a la mode!
sinika- (friend of the woods)
I think you left out the enjoyment, Joel.
Thanks for those ideas, ladies! Dried apples and apple crisp = YUM. I'm also thinking apple fruit leather...I'll keep you posted.
Sasha - that would be awesome, but I thought you were crazy busy these next two weeks! I'll just bring you some as a housewarming treat. Then after you've settled in we can get together with our kids and make some miniature candy apples that are the cutest things you've ever seen. It will be a very domestic and lovely time. Yes?
You know what's best? Getting a big ol thing of Dulce de Leche and cutting off pieces of apples and dipping em in there. Continue until you have eaten 6 green apples. Then you will literally have what my mother would call "The Green Apple Dirties" so stay near a toilet.
This also works with crenshaw and bananas.
WAIT!!! Don't give up on canning yet - you have to DO it to truely hate it! You can borrow my pressure canner and my juicer. Have at least one dozen jars sitting on your cupboard to impress the neighbors. Then you can be the source of awe - just like Doreen.
I would love to come pick your apple trees clean except I would share and I would make you apple pie filling and then you could love me all winter long when you are enjoying your apple pies, apple cobbler, apple crisp, apple turnovers, apple ice cream topping...
Move over Doreen and pologymist sister, I'm on my way over...
Mandi!
You didn't say WHEN you were going to do it. I just assumed you'd wait until I could come over. :)
My kids would love to come over and make lots of noise with yours! They are very good at it.
Caramel apple stand. I think I would drive to Orem for that. Or you can bring me some as a house warming present. Even though my house is plenty warm. K thanks.
Oh man ... I would FOR SURE come and solicit a caramel apple stand. Mmmmmm ... that would be awesome!
I am just a wanna-be canner. But, just thinking about how much work it entails gives me a head-ache. :)
I love the conversation you had with Paul about canning. Made me laugh so hard! Tyler always gives an enthusiastic "YES!" when I suggest buying ANYTHING. Weird. He knows how much money he makes ... and still ...
Thanks for your comments ... they seriously made my day! You have totally motivated me to make the mini caramel apples again this year ... despite the LOTS of work they are. :)
Good luck with all the apples ...
You can borrow my dehydrator.
Nan - GET OVER HERE.
Natalie - Thank you! I just might take you up on that.
You dip wads, you don't eat tomatoes straight out of the can. You chop 'em or blend 'em up for great sauces, salsas, etc.
Applesauce is good for only one thing: spooning onto pork chops as a relish.
First of all, Chrissy, as an editor for a famous Mormon humor book, you should now that "dip wad" is spelt dipwad. I give you this article for clarification and remembrance.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/29317
Secondly, canned tomatoes, even when chopped or blended, are gross. Not bloody-finger gross, but a deep, quality, God-offending gross that lasts. Look at that picture ofthe canned tomatoes. They are a skinless acidic fruit/flesh ball, good only for dropping off of bridges or mailing to Ahmadinejad.
Paul is correct! I like my salsa with fresh, firm chunks, not watery wads of slimy offensiveness.
Chris, I submit that you are indeed the dipwad.
Oh I wish, with all my heart, wish I canned. but I don't. and I won't. It's one of those required domestic duties for every perfect mo woman. But it's just not me. I wish it was. Even if I had this primal urge to can it would be far to overwhelming for a procrastinator like me to pull off. I can imagine buying the supplies and getting a "canning binder" and planning my canning strategy and reading up on it, spending hours online until I could practically teach a class and then....nothing. I know this as well as I know I'll never be a size 4 or get all of my laundry done. When the apocalypse comes I'll be knocking at Natalie's door because I'm tired of eating salt, pepper & ketchup. Better get a shotgun Nat.
Mandi, I canned for the first time ever just a few weeks ago. First time since childhood anyway. I spent hours, HOURS cutting up veggies for some salsa and I only got 5 jars from a full days work. I think I'll stick to my Herdez salsa next year.
Lisa - I just realized something. With our procrastinating, non-canning ways, we WILL be a size 4 on our End of the World diets. YESSSS! Suck on that, prepared people.
What the...I didn't get a single apple and only two tomatoes this year.
Pie filling is almost kinda worth canning for and I have a brand new, never used five year old apple corer, slicer thingie you can use.
I'll funnel cakes for the carnival.
I wouldn't can tomatoes or make applesauce either. BLECH! We have canned pears this year and made huckleberry jelly! Yummy! I recommend making jellies. They are easy and you don't need a pressure cooker.
I know this is like a month after you posted this... but I am just getting around to reading blogs... I canned peaches last year... and they aren't good. I recommend buying them! I love the mini candied apples. Is it too late? Are they all gone?!
Mandy, just read your blog for the VERY 1st time. I must say I'm mightily impressed. Especially the Instyler segment. Could your kid be any cooler? It had me ranging in emotions: Happiness, anticipation (for second 0:45), and confusion. Yes, confusion! At first I thought, he's so cute, then I'm like, wait...why does he care so much about hair? Is he a future metrosexual? Does he just love hair? AGONY!! Then he said it was for girls. Phew! My confused moment evaporated quickly, which doesn't happen too often for me. I was left with warm fuzzies and an odd feeling and need to look more into this hair tool. Thank you.
But this post is about canning apples....
???
They're good.
Yum! I'll bring over a dish of my canned apple-apple crisp. You'll pee your pants!
Post a Comment