Squash bugs crunch so satisfyingly
between gloved fingers as
you yell at them to die.
I did garden a lot this summer. We put a pond in. I discovered what mosquito larvae looks like. THOUSANDS of mosquito larvae. They're really gross, in case you were wondering. I squished many a squash bug after they killed most of my pumpkin plants. I also had to inspect the underside of each leaf on my remaining pumpkin vines and scrape off all of their blasted eggs. I often thought to myself, "Why am I not just buying pumpkins?" But then, after all my hard work, killing and scraping, this came to be:LAAAAAAHHHH
My beautiful white pumpkin, complete with
glowing heavenly aura and choir of angels
My beautiful white pumpkin, complete with
glowing heavenly aura and choir of angels
This will save me, I don't know....at least five whole dollars! Sweeeeeeet.
Another source of pride is my favorite flower of all time that is blooming so nicely right now, my Hibiscus:
(They're overgrown on PURPOSE, Mike. Mike?! Where's Mike?
Thanks again for the shutters, wherever you are. I still love them!)
Here are some other things we did this summer.....
We got passes to Seven Peaks and went often:
We paddleboated and camped at Heber Valley Campground:
While there, we went on a hike. My mom has a tradition of letting each grandchild pick a beautiful spot to have their personal picture taken. So Paul chose his:
We celebrated the Fourth:
Grandma Browning and her amazing United States jello
Finally! Using the patriotic wigs I got on clearance last year
Nothing says freedom like a red, white, and blue mullet
Roasting marshes and eating s'mores by the bucketload
Being engulfed by smoke = FunMaddie celebrated her 13th birthday and I died a little bit inside:

We went to Gardner Village, and it was closed. Sigh. So we went back the next day:

Maddie went on a 3-week trip with Grandma Browning and some cousins to Kentucky/Tenessee/Missouri, and our household got surprisingly peaceful. I had no idea she was causing most of the fighting. Huh. She had a good time, though:
One day we decided to go on a lovely picnic in the mountains. Since we were buying some KFC for my grandma anyway, we decided to get some for our picnic. Paul ordered two gallons of rootbeer. He was thinking of liters, but it turns out that gallons are much different than liters, volume-wise. After balking at our receipt which was $11 more than it should have been and being handed FOUR half-gallon jugs of rootbeer one by one, we realized the mistake. Uh, kids? Get ready for some serious rootbeer drinkin'.
Paul slipped his bird in this picture so I wouldn't be able to blog about his folly, but he didn't realize what little respect I have for my readers' sensibilities. The camera died immediately after taking this picture, which was just as well. The rest of the picnic went downhill from here. Summary: I insisted on going to Aspen Grove when Paul wanted Vivian Park, I didn't know you had to pay to get in, there were no available picnic tables, we sat on the stairs of the weedy amphitheater among gigantic ants, and Paul and I sat in angry silence as we watched the kids half-heartedly play. There's your picture.
We went to the Oquirrh Mtn. Temple open house:

Paul spoke freely in the designated area
We went to Gardner Village, and it was closed. Sigh. So we went back the next day:
Maddie went on a 3-week trip with Grandma Browning and some cousins to Kentucky/Tenessee/Missouri, and our household got surprisingly peaceful. I had no idea she was causing most of the fighting. Huh. She had a good time, though:
One day we decided to go on a lovely picnic in the mountains. Since we were buying some KFC for my grandma anyway, we decided to get some for our picnic. Paul ordered two gallons of rootbeer. He was thinking of liters, but it turns out that gallons are much different than liters, volume-wise. After balking at our receipt which was $11 more than it should have been and being handed FOUR half-gallon jugs of rootbeer one by one, we realized the mistake. Uh, kids? Get ready for some serious rootbeer drinkin'.
We went to the Oquirrh Mtn. Temple open house:
There's lots more stuff - Provo River canoeing and Bear Lake with my parents, Yuba with the Brownings, and barbecues, barbecues, barbecues. Lots of fun stuff. Whew. Now I'm tired. Maybe it should be over, after all. Time to work on my amazing school year montage.



14 comments:
Mandi, I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG!!! You have such a knack for writing and it is so fun to read!!! Now if I could just learn how to get pictures on my blog I would do a lot more blogging because I write just like I talk and that is not a problem for me!!! HELP ME!!! Go to Lindsay's Blog and see them hike Subway in Zions...It Is Way Cool. I Love You Little Girl!!! I think you had a very productive summer and don't forget the trip to Vegas and the trip home and excuse me but did you forget to come see me??? Cindy
Sounds like a great summer. I loved the pictures.
Sounds like you had a really great summer. Makes me think mine was a failure. Maybe I should recap like you and it will feel better....if I remember what we did, let alone remember to blog it. So sad to be brainless. I love the white pumpkin. And I love your posts. You are such a talented writer. I get so excited when you post!
Thank you for admitting you were wrong about Aspen...wait, you didn't.
That was fun to read. Maybe I should do a summer re-cap.
I envy us.
it sounds like your summer was amazing- definitely montage worthy. especially the giant white pumpkin. and alex's hair looks JUST LIKE kate's. very impressive
I love so many thing about this post that I don't know where to start. So I'll just say you're too funny, and it looks like you guys had a good summer. Well maybe minus Aspen Grove.
Summer goes too fast - never enough time to completely fulfill overly ambitious goals. Staying close by this year was the best - especially being able to be with the grandkids. Having a teenage granddaughter came so fast! I love the pumpkin and flowers! The Aspen Grove fiasco cracked me up. Your blog is so funny - all in all I'd say you had a very successful summer!
Very fun. You are awesome. I especially love the title.
Mandi, Paul you're such amazing parents, will you adopt me?
The white pumpkin is very cool, definitely worth squishing crunchy squash bugs for.
I'm going to have to get your recipe for nachos so I can put together an equally awesome montage.
I echo Natalie. What a freakin failure I was this summer. Natalie did way more than I, so what does that make me? A lump that's what. Sigh. Next summer I'll be 120 pounds, bursting with energy and full of great ideas which WILL BE EXECUTED. In the meantime where are those bag of chips...crap too far to reach...kids? Go get mom that bag of chips. Will someone rub my feet?
Loved it! Great pictures and stories and memories!
Mandi, I gave you a Kreativ Blogger award. See my writing blog for the details. I just love your blog! But, if you would rather not have a link to your blog on my writing blog (where lots of strangers are looking), then I will take it off. Love you!
Thanks Ang! Yeah, I'd rather not have a link. Thanks for asking.
Aunt Cindy - we will not ever forget to visit you again! Shame on us. Love you!
love the blog
love you
love Paul too
Post a Comment