FAIL. I don't think I could have made it look grosser if I tried! The kids did not enjoy. Here's the recipe, in case you're weird and want to replicate it:
2/3-1 c. nonfat dry milk
2 tbsp. honey
(blue food coloring)
Here's an actual really yummy recipe that I've been making a lot this summer, and it's healthy, too:
Greek Quinoa and Avocado Salad
Ingredients
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup water
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Spinach leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced**
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Directions
1. In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Transfer quinoa to a medium bowl. Add tomato, spinach, and onion; stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
3. Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices on spinach leaves. Spoon quinoa mixture over avocado slices. Sprinkle with some of the feta. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
4. *Note: Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove a bitter substance called saponin that coats the seeds.
Feta cheese is good on it, but sometimes it smells too much like barf, so I often leave that out. And I only use one avocado and cut it into cubes and chop up like 2 cups of spinach and mix them both in. It's good. Try it.
This is the first year I've grown zucchinis and they really are crazy productive, just like everyone says. I've been trying to use them up all kinds of ways. (Mostly legal.) And I think my sister Jaime snuck some of hers into my car last weekend. JAAAIIIMMEEEE. Anyway, here's a know-it-all tip: Pick them when they're small - like only 4-6 inches. They're a lot more tender and juicy and you can use them up quicker. It's hard to catch them when they're small, though - they seem to grow overnight. Anyway, here's a good low-fat zucchini recipe:
Brown Sugar Zucchini Bread
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 C. applesauce
1 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup walnut pieces (optional)
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (you don’t have to have this, but it does add a very nice flavor.)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Grease an 8 by 4 by 2-inch loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
Combine the butter, oil/applesauce, and sugar. Cream the mixture until smooth. In a separate bowl combine flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Add the egg to the creamed mixture and mix until incorporated. Add the flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time until all is incorporated, and the batter is smooth.
Fold zucchini, and lemon zest into batter.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle nuts on top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until golden brown or when skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.

17 comments:
Oh, I'm laughing so hard at the peanut butter playdough. My kids are grossed out. Thanks for the recipes! You know, our zucchini actually failed this year (squash bugs). Weird.
Are you sure that's playdough? It definately looks au'naturale. I may pass on that recipe but the others look wonderful. Thanks.
I don't think that's playdough. I was using the camera earlier for a personal project.
Hahaha. I was going to comment "oh, looks like another post about Paul's stool," but ironically he beat me to it.
Oh my goodness! THat looks so gross! HAHAHA!!! Wow!
I'll eat that poo for you.
So do I need a food processor to grate my zucchini?
Gary's finally convinced that bigger is NOT better when it comes to zucchinis. Ours barely fit in the fridge!
I didn't think it was possible to fail at growing squash, but like Angie said, I managed to this year. If Jaime dumps more on you, I can introduce a few things into her garden that will take care of that problem. Just let me know.
I've been looking for recipes for quinoa, so I'll have to give that a try. How about something for kamut, millet or amaranth?
So I tried a new recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It was delish, and you can't even tell there is zucchini in it. Just helps it to be super moist. Let me know if you want the recipe for something else to do with your zucchini.
I changed that exact diaper just this morning!!!
Tracy, we have no recipes for Middle Earth Dwarves.
Tracy - you're on your own with those. Quinoa is as exotic as I get. For some reason the squash bugs went nuts for my pumpkins and left the SQUASH and zucchini alone. Whatevs.
April - Thanks, but I already have a delish chocolate zucchini cake recipe that I made a million times during the winter. Which is now why I'm looking for things on the lighter side. ahem. And so is my butt.
For the love of sanctity, get that photo off your blog now. Do you know precisely how much I believe your story and that's not real poo? Yuck.
Peanut butter fingers look nothing like real fingers and peanut butter play dough looks nothing like real play dough. I'm thinking, we must rule out peanut butter as an effective art medium.
I've always thought that the concept of edible play dough was icky on many levels.
I was seriously speechless when I first saw that picture. hahahaha. Love all the comments too ... so funny!
That seriously does look like poo! But the real PB Playdough is awesome, you should try it out, but it does make you kind think "sick, my kids yucky hands have been squishing this all day!" Kind hard to swallow!
paul and his trophy's!!!
I totally did sneak that into your pile of stuff. What else am I going to do with them?? I've made squash and zuccini for dinner every night for about a month and my kids still don't eat it. Thanks for the bread recipe! I'm going to try it and then bring you a loaf. hee hee.
Post a Comment