4.03.2009

hijinks and tomfoolery

The other day I had one of those "bad mom" moments, where it just hits you suddenly that you've really sucked it at something as a mother. I won't be delving into my motherly crappiness, but I am going to discuss how I tried to redeem myself with adorability. Alex and Isabel were soooooo excited the night before April Fool's day. Isabel had my orthopedic boot (from when I hurt my toe) all ready to wear to school the next day. Alex wanted to draw a mustache on Isabel during the night with permanent marker....that was vetoed. Glad I got a heads up on that. I usually make some kind of April Fool's dinner, but this year I decided to make their morning full of delightful pranks. After they went to bed I got to work.

First I did the one we've been doing for years - putting a rubber band around the sprayer thing on the kitchen sink. Twice that night I turned on the water and sprayed myself. TWICE. Hi memory. I only meant these tricks to be for the kids, but in the morning I heard Paul yell in surprise as he got sprayed right before he left for work, and slipped in the water on the floor. Then he yelled "HILARIOUS" and slammed the door. Oopsie.





I drew on the twins' faces with makeup pencil...

...which they darkened and wore to school. (???)


blue milk


Creepy fake dad reading the paper. This actually
fooled Alex, who talked to him for awhile.


Lastly, my favorite: plastic wrap covering the doorways at face height. I'm not sure how making my groggy, just-woke-up kids smash their faces in the dark makes me a better mom, but it's definitely a memory I'll cherish.




11 comments:

sugarbritches said...

It's funny you think you're a crappy mom because everytime I read your blog I think, I wish I was a good Mom like Mandoo. Anyhoo - this is hilarious!! I love the tricks! I have never, until this year, ever played an april fools trick except one that scarred by mom for life and now I'm gun shy. (Long story short, my mom used to make and sell these awesome dolls so I thought it'd be just HILARIOUS to call her and pretend I was a customer and tell her I found a razor blade in the stuffing of a doll. Yeah that's so funny. Even the dim witted wouldn't think that's funny. To make matters worse, THAT happens to be my Mom's biggest fear. She cried and cried. When I told her it was a joke she cried even harder and as far as I know, never sold another doll. Well ain't I just so clever? What a complete doofus. I never pranked again EVER. Couldn't even talk about it again.) But this year, Cayden wanted to so we did 2 stupid things. I put plastic wrap on Hillary's toilet seat and an onion under her pillow. She barely reacted and thought I was stupid. Oh well. I tried.

Boy Mom said...

Oh sure, I lose my Blojo and you find yours.

April fools pranks by Mandi, who'd a thunk it?! Hilarious indeed!

Let's hear it for crappy mothering! NOT!

Prilla said...

So I might have snorted I was laughing so hard. I can't believe you got yourself twice with the water. And Paul right before leaving for work. Awesome. You are such a fun mom.
I thought about playing the "I'm in labor" April Fool's joke, but I figured with my history most people might not find it too funny. So I was good.

rachel said...

I am totally going to use the plastic rap on the doorframes! Hahaha, I had a good laugh about the sprayer, we used to do that to my Mom all the time. Then the other day I turned on the faucet and got it in the face cause our sprayer sticks sometimes... not so funny when it happens to me... Anyway, not worries, you are a great Mom, just come over to my house and you will feel a lot better about your parenting skills.

Katy said...

That is Awesome! Wish I had thought of some of those! The syran wrap idea is classic, and so less messy than the toilet!

wahwee said...

You are an awesome mom. I didn't do anything. Ashby though I should tell everyone at Sister Lunch that Bronson was dead, but I passed on that one.

My mom told us at lunch that she put honey on my dad's toilet seat. Funny thing is ... he didn't notice.

Montgomery Q said...

Tell everybody at Sister Lunch that Bronson was dead? That would be hilarious! Wait, what?

And Sugarbritches, your mom's worst fear is that somebody will find a razor blade in one of her dolls? What planet are you people from?

Hey Mandoo, remember how we kept calling your orthopedic boot "Das Boot", so much so that we rented the movie to see what it was about, and it was dumb? Good times.

heidi said...

Will you post this again next year? I need someone to tell me exactly what to do or I don't do anything. I LOVE that they darkened their mustaches and wore them to school. So funny.

Larry and Cindy said...

this is funny i love it all i came up with is that i had called the wedding off dad was mad he called me a little sh** then said he was going to kick my a** the next time he saw me lindsay called me a sh** to mioke when she had texted him it was an april fools joke (i had left a message on her machine at first) neither of them to horably upset as was everyone else in the family kent was FURIOUS!!!!!!!!! i had talked to him that night he was so mad he didnt te3ll me he loved me like he always does he called back a few min later and said he knew i didnt say that to be mean the next day he had called and kinda apolgized and asked if i was ok he felt bad for getting upset and i dont blame him i would have been upset too if he had done that to me we are still getting married i felt a little bad for doing that to kent but i thought it was funny i will never do that again

Larry and Cindy said...

oh by the way the last comment and this one is tiffany im just to lazy to log mom and dad out and log me in

Montgomery Q said...

I never would have guessed that was you, Tiff.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com