This continued through the years, until I finally caught on to Isabel's deviousness. I would catch her whispering things to Alex to make him upset, so he would yell or hit her and then be the one that got in trouble. One day I was watching her secretly while she demonstrated to someone how she could wail and cry on cue. Big mistake. Since then I have had very little patience or sympathy for her loud crying. I have stopped trying to decipher if it is real or not. When she starts up, I usually tell her to go to her room, so I don't have to hear the sounds coming out of her mouth. This is why she gave me the Christmas present that she'll "TRY to stop yelling at Alex" because she knows it drives me up the wall.
So the other night, I heard them fighting over the computer. They're always fighting about something, and I have a hard time supressing the desire to strangle them. They each came to me individually to plead their case. I am SO OVER policing their fights. I told them to work it out themselves, and was feeling good about that decision. "They have to learn how to resolve their conflicts without my help," I thought to myself, like a wise old sage of a mother would. I don't know what I expected them to do - have a Dr. Phil-style session of mirroring feelings? "I hear what you are saying. You think it is your turn on the computer. I respect that feeling and will take it into consideration." Nope, that's not what happened. Isabel decided to swap her yelling for hardcore violence. Alex was sitting in the computer chair, and she pushed it over with so much force, that he slammed his face into the glass computer desk and chipped his front permanent tooth.
At least she felt really bad about it afterwards. She put her piggy bank on my pillow with a note that said, "Take all money." I feel confident that her $5 in coins will cover this dental bill. Next time I'll just tell them to fight to the death.

17 comments:
OH NO! Poor Alex. That had to kill!! I'm sorry, but that makes me laugh.
Tonight I had Teylor and Kobe come up both screaming and Teylor sporting a big, bloody lip. Oblivious Teylor talked Kobe into watching her do gymnastics and then did a back handspring right on top of him. Seriously, that girl is always doing stuff like that - it's so hard to be understanding about it!
I hope the butt kickin wasn't too bad for Isabel, if you are anything like me, it was scary.
You are the best story teller. I've already started trying to let Mia and Luke resolve their own differences - maybe that's not such a good idea - especially when Mia's doing her Tyler Durden laugh. Scary town.
The other day I decided I was sick of hearing myself yell at the kids so I just let them do whatever they want now. What's the happy medium? It's hard to find.
I love Isabel's note. That's cute.
Wow, Mia's calling me stupid and telling me she hates me right now cause I'm not reading her a story. I guess I should go before she knocks my tooth out.
There really is nothing like sibling love. I don't know how my brother or I made it to adulthood sometimes. I don't think we ever did too much external damage, we mostly went right for the mental damage. Leaves less visible scaring, but emotional scaring for life. Explains a little about my mental status, right???
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow! But I think you did the right thing. She undoubtedly learned something from this, right?
Remember when the twins were cute?
What a story! You will probably not be surprised to learn that Lenny chipped off my front tooth on a washing machine at about that age. Kids. Sigh.
On the positive side. Alex should be amazing at handling the whole marriage thing. He can sleep through the crying and yelling fits and knows to expect meanness and the occasional physical violence. Yep, he should make one incredible husband.
I always hear Moms saying to 'work it out'. I was hoping that my boys were getting old enough that I could start saying that instead of stepping in... I guess I maybe that isn't going to be the fix after all...Thanks for the heads up!
When my sisters and I were little we were nail diggers. We all have scars up our arms from each other - and a couple from frustrating our mother to death. Occasionally my kids use this form of violence. Hannah says "Seth "nailed" me". She keeps the descriptions pretty specific. My twins are the complete opposite of yours. Seth is my emotional crier and Hannah the patient, stoic one who only loses it when pushed quite far. Seth loses it about every 15 minutes. When two of my kids are fighting (usually Zach and Seth lately) I send them both out to the garage steps to "work it out". When the yelling stops and the bangs against the door cease I determine that it is "worked out" and let them in. But if I have to hear them again its back out to the cold steps. I certainly shouldn't have to hear them "work it out"! Jim thinks they should legalize shock collars for children.
I'm all for the shock collars on kids!
The way I see it, Alex was bound to chip a tooth somehow. I think all boys need that in life. My kids chipped theirs doing back flips on the trampoline and landing teeth first on the frame.
Funny comments. Especially the ones about kids learning something. Sam continues to run around on the wood floor in the kitchen wearing socks, despite the fact that he broke half of his front tooth off after he lost attitude control doing that very thing many months ago. I think he secretly enjoyed the root canal experience. Oh well. Live and... don't learn.
I have a vague memory of helping my sister chip one of her front teeth, although I'm pretty sure she would have tripped and smashed her face into the wall even if I hadn't pushed her.
Oh, and don't worry about Alex. Once he has kids his age, his tooth will be ground down to well below the point where he chipped it.
These are funny comments! You've made me feel much better, everyone.
Jaime - I AM like you, and it was scary. haha
Natalie - Actually my twins are just like yours. I made Isabel sound worse than she is. She's very happy-go-lucky most of the time. She just enjoys making Alex melt down and getting him in trouble with her fake crying. Alex is very much the emotionally high-strung one. I'm definitely gonna try the sending them out on the cold steps thing. Genius!
O man! I loved the whole "Dr. Phil Mom moment", Mandi. That was truly inspirational. :)
So sorry about the dental expenses coming your way ... life.
I'm so happy to hear there are a few other moms out there that can be scary. Marissa has told me that Scary is my middle name before. Nice. Krystal spends most of the day sing-songing, "Mommy, are you being nice to ME?"
hahaha. I cannot even imagine a fake cry coming out of Isabel at all. Good thing our kids are sweet MOST of the time (due to the wrath of SCARY mom issues probably). ;)
Oh the guilt of tying to patient around little tormentors. I can't remember you kids fighting that much, but I had a very low tolerance for it as Ike clearly remembers. I'm so glad all my kids are now grown adults!
I think the chipped tooth gives Alex character. I grew up with brothers and never suffered any violence. Of course I was the older brother.
I forgot to mention that a couple of years ago Hannah chipped off part of her tooth in a straight line so one was shorter than the other (luckily it was a baby tooth. It then turned grey for two months then went white again. Weird. Funny thing is, we never knew how she did it. She is so stoic that whatever it was she never cried to us about it. Seth would still be crying about it two years later. By the way one of my insensitive teens wrote "Seth's Steps" in chalk on the garage steps yesterday. That did not go over well with you-know-who! Fun comments Mandi.
Wow! and I thought that me and my sis were crazy. I don't think we managed permante damage to each other. Siblings love each other, right?!?
Post a Comment