Two weeks ago we left for our big trip to California. The kids have never been to Disneyland, and I've been thinking they are the perfect ages to go. I was SO excited for this trip. Big trips are a rarity in our world, so I was really counting on this one to be good.
I cannot express to you the high I get planning a trip. It's almost as good as a completely free dishwasher detergent coupon. Almost. I find the best hotels for the best price, find out when things open and close, plan the itinerary according to certain events and the nearest routes, map out all the shows we need to see and the best order we should see them in.....in short, being the completely controlling, obsessive compulsive person that I am. I freely admit this. Once I planned an entire trip to San Jose that we never took, yet I feel as if I actually took that trip, with all the planning I did. Do you know the way to San Jose? I do. Very much so.
I also google mapped all the directions to and from each place, since Paul and I haven't exactly been blessed with heads for directions. I was hoping to ease the yelling and headaches (and punchings) that would most certainly ensue. (There's a family legend to tell here, but it's too long. Basically I was 16, got hopelessly lost on the freeway, blah blah, and ends with me punching my mom in the face. Ah....memories.) I wanted to pack as lightly as possible, so we would have room for a bed in the back of the car, so the kids could take turns sleeping on our long drive. Everyone was allowed two outfits, one pj, a swimsuit and some underwear. I was planning on washing a load of clothes each day at our hotels. I made a comfy bed in the car with pillows and a nice comforter for them to sleep on. Keeping extra costs down was also on my mind. I took dinners, snacks and water bottles so we wouldn't be spending too much on going out to eat and expensive drinks. My kids get carsick a lot, so I got nausea medicine, bands for their wrists, gingersnap cookies, etc. I knew we would be swimming, so I made sure we got them new goggles, plastic floaties, sunscreen, etc. Camera & charger, laptop, camcorder, ipods, cell phone, the list of things to pack never ends.
The point is, I planned the living CRAP out of this trip. It would be the perfect trip ever taken, in my mind. We ran into some issues the morning we were supposed to leave and left a lot later than we wanted to, but we were finally out on the road.
the incredibly long story about our trip.
NEXT UP: Something that happened in Vegas is finally revealed. And if you use the phrase, "What happens in _____, stays in _____" ever again for the rest of your life, I may be forced to smother you with a pillow.

9 comments:
Cool. I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip. I also would love to hear the epic family legend, since, if I have, I don't remember it.
I have been looking forward to a new post from you! I am back into the blogs since I have been released as P.P. I love your blog entries. You are truly talented and I am excited to hear about your trip! (Maybe it will inspire me to get my act together and write about our little UEA trip.) Natalie
Oh yes - the infamous epic legend. You forgot to mention that your mom and sister were stranded (after a car wreck) with no ride for 2 hours in 20 degree weather while YOU were lost on the freeway. It's funny how lots of years turn a bad drama into a funny joke.
Your kids will thank you someday for planning the heck for them! I can't wait for the rest of the story either.
Agh! How can you stop right there?!? I was just getting a Diet Coke to be settled in for awhile. Hurry back!
Mandi, I love your writings. You seriously need to compile them into a book. I can totally relate to the planning business. I felt as though Mom, Zak, and I had gone to Hawaii through my reading and planning even though we only got as far as San Francisco and had to rent a car to come home (dang buddy pass). I'm impressed with your planning. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story. Like Michelle, I was just settling in for a good story. Hurry and blog again. DAD
I enjoyed the planning, but I think we could have used more planning.
I agree. Way too short. But happy for something from Mandella.
Looking forward to more and more and more...
Mandi, I feel you conveyed everything that you meant to in a post of appropriately length. If there's one thing I've learned about blogging, it's "Don't let the naysayers and nitpickers get you down." Actually, I haven't learned how to do that. (Any supportive comment?)
You punched your mom in the face?! HA!
Appropriately length. Ha!
Post a Comment