9.29.2008

My Friend Joel

I have a friend named Joel. Usually I feel obligated to introduce him as "Paul's best friend in the whole wide world since forever," but I'm not doing it this time. He is my friend free and clear of Paul's involvement. Joel is hilarious and makes me laugh all of the days. So does his sister Sasha, who is also my friend. (See, I didn't forget you, Sasha, so no pouting.)

When Paul and I were first married, we made the horrible decision to live somewhere horrible. (I'd rather not talk about it.) Then Joel and his wife made the horrible decision of copying our horrible decision and moved into our horrible "complex," which is a nicer word for, okay I'll just say it, "trailer park." We were trying to move 5 out of the 7 years we lived there, but apparently normal people that can actually afford a trailer, don't want to live in a trailer. Weird.

The point is, we lived by them for quite some time. During this time I was honing my skills as a cakestress. I took a cake decorating class at BYU and my practice cakes would often be sent to Joel's house, because they strangely coincided with some important, cake-necessary events. When Joel got new crabs for his fish tank, he received a "Happy New Crabs Day" cake. When Paul farted on his wife, they were given an "I'm sorry I farted on you" cake. For his birthdays I tried to do something more special. One year I made a Britney Spears cake (he was in his Britney phase), a "Don't worry this isn't your present" cake, and my proudest achievement, the Homestar Runner masterpiece from the year 2002. Joel loves Homestar Runner more than most things. I think that was his favorite. Then one year he told me he didn't like cake. No more cakes for Joel. I hope he's sad.




But enough about my awesomeness. This post is about Joel. Joel has a very funny blog that contains memories of Paul and Joel's many adventures in their youth. His posts are somewhat few and far between because he works hard on making them very entertaining, quality posts. He was tired of people giving him crap about posting, so he created another blog with Paul called, "Low Quality," in which the posts are much more frequent, yet considerably lower quality. Clear back in April, I (here's me being awesome again - oopsy) wrote some lyrics for the blog and urged Joel to put it to music.

Low Quality
When quantity counts
Low Quality
Just look at the amounts
Of the crappy postings
Yeah, filling up your eyes
It's Paul and Joel
The Low Quality Guys.

He resisted for awhile, but then came up with the most delightful surprise for me - an a capella harmony-filled wonder:

Original

I still love it so much. It always makes me laugh. Especially the high note at the end. Then yesterday, he surprised me again with a brand new rendition, complete with music! Joel is a GENIUS.

New and Improved

I will never stop listening to it. Thank you Joel.

P.S. If you like They Might Be Giants, you should really watch this video Paul and Joel did to "Fingertips." This was made in 1994? Paul and I were still dating. I'm the bear claw.


15 comments:

Christopher Bigelow said...

I've never met Joel but I could run over and pull on Sasha's big toe less than thirty seconds RIGHT NOW, if I wanted to. You see, we work together, making the world a better place one Neways Healthy Home at a time.

I miss when you lived in the camper shell down by the river. Paul had good stories, like when someone peed in his car (but his version is much more racist) or when someone died in the trailer near yours and it stunk up the place.

I don't see how you can have your cake and eat it too.

Linz said...

Nice cake! Love the songs! Well done, Joel!

Montgomery Q said...

Happy New Crabs Day, everyone.

I've decided I'm going to be Homestar Runner for Halloween, because I was in my dream last night, and the costume worked out pretty well.

Joel said...

That H*R cake was THE AWESOME! I sent pics of it to the Homestar Runner guys and they wrote back telling me it was the coolest cake ever (or something).

I told you I don't like cake?! I'm thinking this is one of those patented "Mandi's very own conspiracy theories" because I don't remember ever not liking cake. Maybe I was talking about store-bought cakes. Yuck. I am mooey mooey sad that I don't get cakes from you anymore.

Paul made the graphics for the back of the shirt I'm wearing in that photo. There goes Paul stealing your thunder again. But a whole post about how awesome I (and you) am (are) brings your response rating ubber up. HA!

Tracy said...

That's awesome! And you know what? I know Joel! I have no idea where I know him from, but since he's a Low Quality guy, it was probably a Low Quality establishment like McDonald's, circa 1991, or perhaps Denny's or some other dive I once worked at. Or it could have been living next to the railroad tracks in Provo. Joel, if you read this, connect the dots for me.

Tracy Lofthouse

Joel's Other Sister said...

Its true that my brother rocks on toast. And not just with his crazy singing skillz. (Joel will mock me mercilessly I'm sure for spelling skillz that way.) He's also a genius in most other ways as well.

I'm just glad I got a mention in Mandi's blog even if it was a bit of a slam on my pouting tendencies. But at least I'm a bone - a - fide friend of Mandi's!

(Hi Chris - Hope your Home is extra Healthy this month!)

Joel said...

Tracy,
You and I worked together at McDonald's circa 1991. How are you? We bumped into each other a few years ago. You were working at the bakery in Brigham's Landing. It's been a while. How lucky are you to know both me AND Mandi?

heidi said...

That's a catchy little tune. It should play when you get on the blog.

It's sad that Joel hasn't been getting cakes for all this time because of a Mandi-made conspiracy theory.

That was super funny BTW.

Tracy said...

Joel,

Things are going well for me. And I'm dang lucky to know you guys. I married Mandi's cousin, so that's how I know her. I suppose I'm lucky to know Paul, too. At the very least, I feel obligated to throw him a bone on Mandi's blog. I also consider myself lucky that the McDonald's gig is over.

So now it looks like I have another couple of blogs to keep tabs on. Thanks for the heads up, Mandi! And thanks for giving me a forum in which to chat with someone else whilst referring to you in the third person.

Anonymous said...

Joel and Tracy,

Get a room.

Joel said...

:(

Christine said...

Mandi, this is a hilarious post. Your cakes have always been amazing. I need to see the Britney Spear's one posted soon...

nan said...

cakes

Sara said...

love the vintage paul browning vid. i even remember that hair. and the t-shirt.

Zak said...

Please to post more.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com