Speaking of perennials, I love this book:
It's so good! The author goes through his favorite varieties of perennials, and he dedicates a couple pages to each of them. He writes about specific conditions the plant likes, bloom times, pruning and fertilizing, inside tips, and he even lists other perennials it looks good with. I would seriously read it before bed like a novel. I also kept it waaaaay over the library due date, which contributed to our $70 fine. That's right. SEVENTY DOLLARS. Spent at the library. Not even close to cool.Here are some of my summer gardening experiments:
The bean tepee. The package of beans said something like, "You are seriously retarded if you can't grow these." They didn't grow. And dangit, because it would have been awesome. I'll have to try again next year.
Sunflowers - another "exclusively for retards" plant. They grew! Hooray.
Tomatoes and pumpkins. You really shouldn't plant 8 tomato plants and two pumpkin seeds in an 8' x 4' area. Sure, they look really small and cute in the beginning, but the instructions aren't lying when they tell you how much room to give them. We have a huge pumpkin growing in the middle of our tomatoes, and the vine has taken over the playground. At least they're growing.

6 comments:
I'm SUPER impressed. and even if the sunflowers are for retards- they look AMAzing. It is my dream to one day grow a prize winning giant pumpkin. you need to post pictures of the pumpkins you grew!
It's like hearing my own story, I get all excited about planting but about mid july... I don't care for the up keep anymore! Anyway, your garden looks amazing!
70.00 fine at the library!?!?!?!? That's pretty darn impressive. hahaha. Your garden is awesome. Our peas finally started taking off this week ... ya know ... a week or two before frost hits. I have no idea what is up with that. That tepee is way cool. Our tomato plants were blown over so many times - they pretty much just lay sideways now. I can't wait to see your pumpkin! Thanks for the awesome flower tips!
I am also impressed with your jardening skills.
This analysis of the part time lover is too funny! Why couldn't I see that in my younger years when I had a garden and would feel so totally guilty when things turned out bad. No wonder I'm so grateful dad has taken over the yard! I think what you do in your garden is great.
I had to pay $28 for a book I burned and then waterlogged trying to put out the flames. I wasn't really surprised when they called to complain once I turned it back in that way. Oh well. You gotta have library privileges!
Those sunflowers are so pretty! I want to see that book. I just bought a ton of perennials, so I hope I chose well.
$70 is painful. We owe $16 and that was hard.
I love what your seed packages say. Nice job growing your beans, tard.
Post a Comment