Did anyone see the Oprah show on Monday? I know when I start talking about Oprah, Paul's ears automatically shut off. But stay with me here. She did a show on child predators, which I hate watching because it makes me really depressed. But I made myself watch, and it was SHOCKING. The things that are happening to children on the internet are so evil and disgusting, I can't even wrap my mind around it. Law enforcement is very underfunded and aren't able to devote the manpower to catch these horrible people. Bless the officers that have to look at this crap and catch these sickos. I know I couldn't do it. They need to be paid for such a hard job. What WE can do is help pass Senate Bill 1738 - The PROTECT Our Children Act, which will:
- Authorize over $320 million over the next five years in desperately needed funding for law enforcement to investigate child exploitation.
- Mandate that child rescue be a top priority for law enforcement receiving federal funding.
- Allocate funds for high-tech computer software that can track down Internet predators.
Senators are voting on this very soon, so it's important to act now. It's so easy. You can go to www.senate.gov to get contact information for your senator and write him a letter. Oprah's website has a sample letter that you can copy, paste and sign, or you can write your own if you want. It takes less than 5 minutes. An in-depth explanation of what to do is at:
http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20080911_tows_predators
As Crunchtime would say, "Let's get it."

7 comments:
Crunchtime is so inspiring. I didn't see that show yet, but I will. Thanks for all that easy info - I will go do it now. Gary's friend is one of the people that has to watch the videos and stuff - he's a really good guy - I think only men could handle watching that stuff. It would do me in.
Sorry, Mandi. Anything dealing with the federal government isn't as cut-and-dried as we might like it to be. There are serious problems piggy-backed onto this bill. Nothing like politics to get in the way of important stuff.
"The senate bill was turned into an omnibus [S. 3297], containing over 30 bills, several unrelated."
Complete story here. Call your senator and rip them to shreds for their stupid politicking.
Why is this even an issue? It seems like everyone except the sickos, would want to do whatever it takes to stop this.
Thanks for the info. I will send a letter. I'm so glad I can copy one. For some reason writing a letter brings fear into me. I hate writing letters!!
Dangit, I KNEW there would be a problem with this. So annoying. Thanks, Tracy. I guess I'll have to find out more.
It also bugs me because she said during the show many times that it was a strictly non-partisan bill. I guess she doesn't kick that much A.
I'm with Jaime. I can't believe this is such an issue. It really infuriates me. What is wrong with people these days?!? I just don't understand it.
Oh my gosh Mandi. I just watched the first 10 minutes of that show and I can't watch anymore. I want to throw up and kick a lot of guys in the crotch - or take a knife to the crotch. That makes me angry, sick, depressed, disgusted and outraged. Satan seriously scored when the internet came along. Something has to be done.
Post a Comment