8.23.2007

trauma & thomas

The other night Oliver kept complaining that his back hurt, after playing with Isabel. She finally admitted that she had been pulling him down the stairs, so he had a major carpet burn on his back. The pain got more and more intense for him until he was screaming and crying in pain. Thinking his carpet burn was the same as any burn, I put sunburn gel on it. Which made him cry more. I had to force him to lay down for a minute so I could change his really gross diaper, which led to my discovery of his very painful bum rash. Which made him cry more. Paul's sister (who's a nurse) said to put ointment and a bandage on the carpet burn since it hurts more when exposed to air. That's when I discovered our first aid kit was out of bandages. That's also when I heard the words I always love to hear: "MOM! The toilet's flooding!" Thanks, timing. Got the toilet under control, then washed Oliver in the bath, which made him cry even more. Then I slathered his back and bum with butt rash ointment, and devised an awesome maxipad bandage. Am I MacGyver? I wonder. Then I gave him lots of medicine and stuck him in front of Thomas the Train, which made the crying finally stop. Anyway, it was a solid 15 minutes of hell which I never want to repeat.

First aid, now with wings!
Thomas is soothing buttpaste for the soul.

Speaking of Thomas, we have Thomas magnets on the fridge, and many times throughout the day Oliver will rattle off their names and it's funny.

10 comments:

Zak said...

Poor kid! It also looks like it was rough for Oliver.

Good job on being a mom that works through the difficulties with some ingenious usage of female hygiene products.

La said...

AWWWWW.

Montgomery Q said...

Maxipads...is there any problem they can't solve?

I could listen to him say "Isabow" all day long.

Pam and Rand said...

Maxipads do seem to solve alot of problems. Oh such sad trama. He is too cute to be hurting! Sad. I'm glad it was only 15 minutes. Still hard for you. That video is classic - he is such a sweetheart.

Jaime said...

I love Oliver. That is sad that he was hurting so much!

I know I told you guys, but everyone else... Last week I was tending Oliver and I was so impressed by his sweetness. I said to him "Oliver you are just a good kid, aren't you." He said, "thank you, mom." I almost changed the locks and kept him for good.

Linz said...

Good job MacGyver! Way to handle the gamorous job of motherhood with grace! And Oliver is so cute!!

Cute story Jaime!

Pat and Brent said...

What a sweatheart - and a tough little guy too. Why do the sweet ones seem to get more than their share of grief? Good use of the maxipad though.

Michelle said...

Mandi - how in the world you can get me to laugh my head off for such a sad story, I will never know. :) Using a maxi pad is an awesome idea. Talk about stress --I'm impressed!

That video of Oliver is so stinkin' cute! Krystal had to watch it like 7 times.

tiffany said...

he is a cute kid way to go with the maxi pads i dont no if i would ever think of that but im not a mom.

Christine said...

Poor Oliver has had one rough year. I love the maxi pad idea. I just read an e-mail about how some Iraq soldiers used some tampons to put in a gun shot wound to save someone's life. I think I should add some to our emergency kit.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com