8.13.2007

Our friends April and Jeremy just bought a house in Springville, so Saturday we went over there for a BBQ. Our other friends Rachel and Jason were there too. Jason owns every video gaming system known to man, and he brought his most recent purchase - Guitar Hero. He said he bought it with Paul in mind. It was SO MUCH FUN!! I think Paul and I are going to have to break down and buy a playstation or an xbox just so we can play it. It's like karaoke or dance dance, only you have an electric guitar and you play along to rock songs. He had two guitars so we could battle - it was so awesome. I think our on-Sundays need more Guitar Hero with our ping-pong. Christmas present for "mom and dad"?? Shhh, don't tell.

Speaking of video games, Paul and I haven't wanted to buy any video games for our kids because they're expensive and we don't want them to get addicted. But since the Nintendo 64 is so outdated, we found a really cheap one with tons of controllers and games in the ksl classifieds, and Zak gave us all his old games. So we gave it to the kids for Christmas last year. They were ecstatic, since they hadn't ever had anything like it before. Maddie's teacher asked everyone in the class what their favorite present was and Maddie told everyone about her "new" Nintendo 64. This was met with much derision and ridicule from several boys in her class, as they informed her how ancient and lame it is. Ouch. I guess we're teaching our kids early about humility?

It's weird, I used to love video games, but I don't really get into them now. Maybe they were just simpler back then. I still have to play Ms. Pacman whenever I see it. One of my favorite memories is sluffing calculus while mom and I played Dr. Mario endlessly. I got my first C ever in that class. Thanks mom. I remember there was a game on Aunt Pat's computer that I could not get enough of. It was sort of like pacman, but it had little tornados it? I knew I was irritating everyone by playing it so much, but I could NOT STOP. I remember a very annoyed Aunt Pat finally shutting it off in the middle of my game and telling me to go clean. haha Sorry Aunt Pat! My other favorite of all time is the first Super Mario Bros. If you're a Super Mario fan too, please watch this video - it cracks me up.

9 comments:

sugarbritches said...

I was born a bit too early for the video game craze, even though "atari" came out when I was in high school (senior). The only games I ever really played were space invaders and pac man. I never really liked it and still don't. I'm not sure if its the attentions span thing or what. plus, for some reason I get car sick when I try to do the "virtual" type games like car racing etc. That's super funny about your kids and nintendo christmas! The funny thing is that we have an xbox, but it broke, but the whole time hillary kept saying, we need to get out the nintendo 64, i miss it! We were considering a 360 xbox, but it blows me away how expensive it is so we changed our mind and pulled out the nintendo. Cayden LOVES it and so does Hillary. It's rare to find common ground between a three year old and an 18 year old but we have!

Michelle said...

Oh man - I LOVED Super Mario Brothers - that was the REGULAR Nintendo, right? We TOTALLY loved that video you posted. It was very funny - and fun! We have a Super Nintendo right now that our kids and neighbor kids play more than the XBox. Can you get that Guitar game for XBox? That sounds way fun.

Linz said...

You know, I never ever got into video games. As of now, I won't allow any sort of video game stuff in the house. My neighbor (grown man, mind) plays on his x box for hours daily, and I just don't get it! ANyway, the guitar game sounds fun!

Pam and Rand said...

Hey Miss Blame girl - I'm sure I would not have condoned skipping algebra! Are you sure you disclosed that to me? Dr. Mario ruled - I think it was probably worth the C - we need to get another controller or game or whatever to get that going again, ASAP.

Pat and Brent said...

Sorry Mandy. I honestly cannot remember you even playing any games on our computer. I guess I was never very patient when there were lots of kids over.
You guys did score a cool Nintendo after Kent tried to slash his sisters with the butcher knife about a week after we got it. I sold it to your mom for a pretty good price.

Jaime said...

I loved Mario Bros. Is that still out there? We have a playstation 2 that never gets played. Maybe we could get a cool guitar game or something...

Aunt Pat: What was that little tid bit about Kent? It sounds a little out of character.

Pat and Brent said...

We bought a Nintendo for the kids one Christmas. They all loved it and every one of them wanted to play it non-stop. One night we were gone and Michelle was babysitting. Kent wanted to play the Nintendo but his sisters wouldn't let him. Eventually he reached his breaking point, got the biggest kitchen knife he could find and was threatening them with it when we arrived home. I immediately put the Nintendo away in a high back closet and the next day offered it to your mom to buy. I couldn't believe she wanted the evil thing, but she did - and it sounds like you made some pretty fun memories with it.

Anonymous said...

Scary! I'm glad you gave it to us, though. And now I'm a mom with very little patience, so I have a new perspective on those childhood memories.

Mom - I was kidding. Yes, you knew, but we didn't do it that often. I got a c because: calculus is hard.

We do need to revive Dr. Mario, though!

Montgomery Q said...

What's Dr. Mario? Do you mean Super Mario? I'll take my answer off the air.

They ought to make a game called Dr. Laura where you take calls and listen and halfway through you choose from a menu of insults and moral lessons and shoot it at them trying to get them to hang up and there's bonus points for crying. I would play that. For hours.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com