7.31.2007

Oh Oliver

Have I mentioned that Oliver gets into everything? He does. He has learned how to get water from the fridge and likes to make big puddles on the floor to splash in. I caught him pouring a big glass of water on the carpet and he tried to hurry and splash in it before I grabbed it away. It makes me mad and cracks me up at the same time. I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but he got a hold of my mascara and put it on his left eye quite expertly before I caught him:


Yesterday his mischief was not so funny. I was cleaning out some closets and found a fluorescent light bulb that I put in a pile of things to be taken to the storage room. I remember thinking - I'd better put that away before Oliver gets a hold of it. I wish I listened to myself more. A short time later I heard him crying in the kitchen and found him in the middle of this scene:


His foot was covered with blood and gushing. It sent me into a swearing panic and I could not remember the doctor's phone number which I've called a million times before and I had to look it up in the phone book. They said the soonest appointment was in an hour and even though that seemed like too long to wait, I knew the ER would take three times as long. He had a big gash on the bottom of his foot, and another cut that was smaller. First I tried wrapping it in a towel:


That didn't go well, but then I started to calm down and remembered our first aid kit. That was very helpful and I got him all bandaged up and hoped that a lollipop and Sesame Street would help him pass the time more enjoyably. It didn't:

(Normally I don't take pictures of my kids in distress, but I had time to kill. You understand.)

Man, doctors take their sweet-A time. He finally got three stitches in the deep cut, and they glued the other one. He was pretty unhappy during it, but the doctor said normally they have to get several people to hold 2-year-olds down during stitches. They were surprised how good he was. They would say, "We're almost done, ok?" and he would say, "Oookaaay" through his tears. And he said "thank you" when they were finished. It was so sweet and funny.

When we got home he sat on the couch and read books:

(Thomas the Tank Engine is very, very exciting, in case you didn't know.)

Later that night I remembered (in another panic) that after he had his heart surgery, they told me that in the future, he would have to be on antibiotics before any dental cleanings or other surgical things. So I called the doctor back and they gave him a whopping dose of penicillin. Whew. I'm glad I remembered that.

He can't get his foot wet for several days, which is really convenient, since he rarely gets wet or messy. Tonight he bathed himself in mint chocolate chip ice cream:

Sigh. At least he's cute.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cutest kid EVER, Mandi....Sorry he's such a handful, cuz he sure doesn't look like trouble to me!

Pat and Brent said...

So glad we're done with all that and you get all these "growing" experiences. Yeah, he's pretty darn cute!

Michelle said...

soooo cute. When Krystal looked at this with me earlier, she kept saying - "ohhh, that kid maked a mess." :) You think she's saying that out of adoration or what? Sheesh - what a week you guys have had! Bless Oliver's heart. I'm glad he's okay. LOOOOOOOOOVE that last pic - hilarious.

Michelle said...

ps. I loved that you had a "swearing panic" - that always seems to help eventually calm Mom's down, I think. ;)

Linz said...

He is so cute! Sorry for the traumatic day - thanks for assuring me the swearing fits are normal and acceptable! LOL! Hope his foot is okay!

Pam and Rand said...

That is so scary!! That was really bleeding! Good job on the first aid. It seems like all the cuts we had were after Dr. hours and so the emergency was our only recourse. He is so darling - and so sweet. He is seriously a sweet heart. Now my swearing fits are usually aimed silently at my co-workers or while driving.

La said...

I showed all my peeps in my dept this blog because of how cute the pictures are. I almost started crying when I saw the pic of him asleep with a big ol' lip and a lollypop.

Scary yit though.

Jaime said...

Oh man! I was hoping you were going to say all that red stuff was ketchup of something. I would have FREAKED! I can't imagine him ever being naughty. He is all cuteness. So sweet at the doctors, telling him thank you. What are we going to do with him this weekend? We'll have to make sure not to mention the swimming pool to Oliver. Glad you and he are ok!

Jaime said...

I had to look at that last picture again. It is hilarious. He's so innocent, "What did I do?"

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Jeni's. Just had to say that I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and felt like I needed to confess that I've added you to my Google Reader. You're such a fun person and I wish I knew you in real life :-).
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Well that totally makes my day! Thanks!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com