7.23.2007

Weekend of the Browning

It was a pretty eventful weekend. Paul's sister Robin and her family from Tennessee came to visit. I just realized I didn't take any pictures of them. Oops. Anyway, we had several bbqs with them, one of which was at our house. Right before the bbq, Maddie fell on her skates and hurt her arm.


Then during the bbq, Oliver walked right behind someone on the swings and got hit pretty hard. His teeth went all the way through his lip, which looked really painful, but he only cried for a minute and then he was happy. He's a tough man.

Injured Oliver and my niece Sylvia

We did some fireworks and Oliver was transfixed by the snakes


He's also transfixed by lollipops


I really do have other kids, and someday I'll take some pictures of them, too. Paul gave a talk on Sunday, and it was nice to have a lot of his family there to support him. His topic was Family History and the only thing I knew he was going to talk about for sure were blogs and guns. It's safe to say that I was worried. But he did a good job. I learned some interesting facts about our relative John M. Browning that invented the automatic rifle. He spent some time with Abraham Lincoln, and he was baptized over 80 times after he was dead because a whole bunch of people wanted to claim to have done his temple work for him. That's kinda funny.

Something questionably funny was the joke Paul told that got absolutely NO laughs: "If our ancestors were alive today, I bet they'd say - why is it so dark in here?" Paul later explained to me that it would be dark because they'd be in their coffins. Please vote:



I just got released from being the organist, so it's nice to sit in the audience again. But I realized that I had two goals that I never accomplished: 1) Learn how to play the foot pedals, and 2) Learn "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" (for Simpson's fans only). Dangit. Anyway, now that I'm no longer the organist, I would like to take organ lessons. I bet Michelle knows where I can take organ lessons.

Speaking of Michelle, I saw her last night, but I won't say where because it will incriminate both of us. And don't ask, because it's none of your beeswax. Anyway, Michelle, I forgot to ask you about: organ lessons, where you take your kids to gymnastics, and will you please send me your peanut butter bar recipe because they were so incredibly good. Will you please email me? Thanks. Sorry, just a little shoutout to Michelle.

Yep, that was my weekend.

14 comments:

Zak said...

when you learn "In the Garden of Eden" by I-ron butterfly I hope to be the first invited to listen

Anonymous said...

The funny part about being posthumously baptized 80 times is that he was a baptized during his life.

And that "dark in here" joke was awesome. Its not my fault that everyone else is dumb.

heidi said...

In the Garden of Eden, baby.

That would be an AWESOME song to learn and play on the organ.

Sorry Paul, I was so confused after reading that joke. After the explanation though, I laughed and laughed.

Not really.

Um, poor Oliver! Ever since Mia started walking I've been afraid that would happen to her. They just don't get that the swing is going to come back and belt them. Poor little dummies.

You naughty shoppers.

Happy for a new post.

Pam and Rand said...

I heard that Elvis has been baptized the most times by tons of different people. (and he may not be dead!)

Wow - after the worried people about letting everyone in on your blogs - now you publicize your name and e-mail. Why didn't you put your address and social on it too?

I'm really quite shocked about Michelle's Sunday escapades. I bet it was to get Aaron medicine. Tell me I'm right?

Jaime said...

I didn't get the joke, so thanks for explaining. I would have been leaning over to Jed and saying, "Was that a joke? I don't get it." hee hee. You should have told the joke about the feces. That gets the every time!

Having your teeth go through your lip is so painful! Oliver is a tuff kid! Is Maddie's arm ok? I hate that kind of stuff.

Jaime said...

Paul - stop flipping me off. I'm just KIDDEN.

Michelle said...

Hey - whatever happened to "Sunday shoppers of the world, unite"? So much for my SECRET involvement. :)

Mandi - Oliver is absolutely ADORABLE - I love every picture you post of him.

Organ lessons - hmmmm. Sounds kindof like torture to me. I didn't know you were the ward organist. I really have no idea about organ teachers - however, I highly recommend taking an organ class at UVSC or BYU. Very THOROUGH (wow. now that I capitalized that, I Really hope I spelled it right). :)

All American Gymnastics in Lindon. I think their website is aagutah.com - not sure. Anyway - we love it - very cool place.

Quite the weekend. Will we ever get OUR summer break?

Linz said...

I think the joke was funny...after the explanation! Cute post!

tiffanie said...

I would like to say: I got the joke the first time. It was funny, and I laughed... I laughed more at the fact that you said it in sacrament meeting, Paul. I can totally picture it.

sugarbritches said...

I admit, I only laughed AFTER it was explained. However, I also needed an explanation about the swifer sweeper or swiper wiper or whatever it was so don't judge by me as I am slow. I think you need to "re-visit" the sunday shoppers topic because I was too late to comment originally! I admit nothing. However, I've had more "ox in the mire" instances than I can count. mostly diet coke related withdrawal emergencies. My worst fear is running into a ward member. not thinking that if I am running into them, THEY are running into me. I am paranoid enough to go clear to Harmons to ensure I won't run into anyone at closer stores. I wear sunglasses, (yeah, that works, just as any celebrity. you certainly don't stand out wearing dark glasses in a grocery store- i'm an idiot). Years ago when I had ox in the mire instances for sunday dinners, I would go to great lengths to make sure my mom never found out. I would take then stuff out of the grocery sack and put it in another sack, like "mervyns" so it would look like i just grabbed something. ridiculous. now I just tell my mom I stopped at the Bishop's Storehouse on the way over and we laugh. she knows I'm the evil daughter anyway.

Anonymous said...

I just stuffed your ballet box on the joke....

Christine said...

Mandi, You are the greatest writer. Steve and I just laughed our way through your post. We can totally see Paul up at the pulpit saying that lame joke that would be only funny coming from him. If I could only be a fly on your wall for a day. I love your family.

Christine said...

P.S. Marcia is now reading your blog and thinks you are hilarious!! She keeps talking about it.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Pressure! But thanks Christine - you're sweet.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com