We took a little vacation over the weekend. It was a Salt Lake Extravaganza. Thought I'd share. I'll put pictures in later.
On Friday when Paul got home from work we headed to "This is the Place" Heritage Park. I was surprised at how big it was and it was more interesting than I thought it'd be. We got there about an hour and a half before it was supposed to close, so there wasn't nearly enough time to see and do everything. If you haven't been there, each house has "pioneers" that tell you about the house and then involve you in some kind of activity - carding wool, beating rugs, playing old pioneer games, etc. The kids loved it. To me, the dressed-up pioneers were landmines that were impossible to avoid. We were in a hurry and they had all the time in the world (no clocks, you see.) It was hard to tell the old guy giving the 15 minute speech on how some Ebenezer guy built the church like a ship, to shut it and let us leave already! Actually most of them were fine - that's just my anti-social personality talking.
Now on to the scariest hotel in the valley. I picked the cheapest one thinking - how bad can it be? We'll save money. Note: When a hotel is 30 bucks cheaper than all the others - THERE IS A REASON. The lobby manager was in a security officer uniform - that was our first clue. At the top of the stairs on the way to our room, there was an old broken vending machine, with an overhead fluorescent light that was flickering like it would in a horror movie. That added to the ambience. Our room was tiny and had the worst smell of FART. You'd get used to it and then go out to the van to get something, and as you walked back in it would hit you hard all over again. Paul took a shower and not only did the water reach the height of his stomach, the shampoo bottles had peeling labels like they had been around for years, and were the weight of something very empty. The air conditioning unit had the silence of a freight train and made the curtains billow out and trap all the cool air inside of them. That was one cooled-off window. Too bad for us in the humid fart room. The kids liked the swimming, though, and were thankfully oblivious to the creepy old men standing up on the balcony watching them. And don't forget the 50-year-old lesbian trucker that winked at me and said, "How you doin'?" in her gravelly cigarette-lowered voice. She was probably just being nice, but I still want to think of it as a come-on, just to top off the whole experience.
The next morning we promptly made reservations at a different hotel, and headed to the zoo. Here's a word of advice - when it's 100 degrees outside, don't go to the zoo. You'll be hot. A couple of those exhibits (butterflies, reptiles) are really humid and reminded me of Ecuador. We always romanticize Ecuador and talk of living in South America one day, but this made me remember how much it sucks to be hot and sticky all the time. It really sucks. But the zoo itself is pretty awesome now. They've made things pretty and nice to look at (much different from when I was a child.) It's almost got a San Diego Zoo vibe now. It was fun. Just real hot.
Paul and I were reminiscing about those wax animal figurines you could get from that machine when we were children. Remember that? That was such a highlight. They should bring that back. I remember a big toucan snatching the wax gorilla out of my hand and eating it. Back then I was only concerned with the tragedy of losing my gorilla, but now I'm sure that bird most certainly died and prompted the removal of the wax figure machine. TWO tragedies from one event. (Ok - the bird dying is a tragedy, too - make that three.)
After the zoo we checked into our new expensive hotel, which was WELL worth the money after our previous night. It was all two-bedroomed and two-TVed and had a huge jacuzzi in the room and was clean and SO nice. Well, clean for about 1 hour. Oliver got a hold of Paul's huge bag of kettle corn, and Alex was trying to be helpful by taking it away from him. That would have been great, if only Alex had realized the open side of the bag was facing down. He didn't. So the entire bag of kettle corn spilled onto the floor. He picked most of the big pieces up, but the crumbs were many and quickly tracked through all areas of the room. Aaah - home sweet home. We all had a great time swimming. Oliver is the funniest kid in the pool. He thinks he should be able to swim unassisted like the other kids. He'll be all excited and jump to you from the side of the pool, but scream angrily the SECOND your arms catch him. He likes to play on the steps and walk down each step all confidently until the water finally gets to his mouth and he begins to drown, but he SCREAMS when we pick him up and save him from death. He's the silliest.
The next morning I made Paul go with Maddie to the Music and the Spoken Word taping. They don't allow kids under 8, so I stayed with the young'uns at the hotel. I read on the website what the program was going to be and knew it was musically right up Paul's buttcheeks - I mean alley. They did two songs he absolutely LOVES, and he really enjoyed it, so I'm glad he went. I wanted to tour Temple Square with all the kids, but Paul complained and didn't want to. I gave in with only minor fighting, because the thought of walking around in the heat again made me want to cry. So we ended up going to Cabela's, of all places. It was pretty cool, but not really a vacation highlight. We were basically killing time until Jaime got home from church so she could tend Oliver while we went to Boondocks. Yes, it was Sunday, but Boondock's was also blessedly uncrowded. It was really fun that I got to do stuff for a change, without Oliver there. Thank you Jaime! I was a little bit saddened to find that I'm now too old to enjoy the race cars. They just don't do it for me anymore. Sad. But laser tag is still fun. Whoo-hoo! Solidly middle-aged!
Wow - that was kind of an exhausting trip. Glad to be home, but it was nice to get away for a bit.
7.17.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

17 comments:
Maybe we could have a 'brother-in-law Tina' if you were to hook it up with that smoke-talkin truck driver Mandi... it would give our family that extra spice to help us fit right in at the Rasmussen reunions.
That would be oh so right.
Your trip sounds great-I'm glad you splurged on a nicer hotel - your gross one sounds like the one dad and I stayed in downtown Seattle - we didn't price around - but this was expensive, but a total dive. The smell wasn't fart - but more like moldy feet. The carpet looked like a 1970's or earlier version. It has an iron gate which locked up the hotel at 10:00 p.m. We could look out our window and see all the homeless and riff raff walking by. At 3:00 in the morning we were awakened by noisy drunk partiers. Needless to say - it taints your view of Seattle.
Maybe the Spoken Word influence will offsett your Boondocks on the Sabbath. I do think you need to read Heidi's suggested blog read. What else is in your Sunday Kids Activity box other than Boondock tickets? He he.
We always felt that if we read scriptures at Lake Powell on Sunday - that would offset the waterskiing.
I thoroughly enjoy reading your blogs. You should write a novel. The hotel sounds delightful. It is comforting to know that my children are experiencing the same angst over not spending a lot on hotels only to find that it really sucks to stay in a dive. Remember Blackfoot Idaho with the crappy pool? I will always regret the 20 bucks that we saved.
Heritage Park really is great and so is the Zoo. Mom and I need to take a grandkid or two there. That would be fun, except when it is 100 degrees. We'll avoid that.
That Oliver is quite an enigma. Beneath that calm exterior lies a feisty youngster. It sounds like he needs swimming lessons so he can enjoy the water.
Boondocks on Sunday! How can I say this without being preachy--- Shame on you! I hope Maddie protested a bit using her primary teachings. I also hope the extra time on the rides was worth all of the lost blessings and possibly a curse or two. Wow, that was really preachy. Sorry, just the Dad coming out in me.
Very enjoyable blog. Thanks.
P.S. We never waterskied on Sunday at Lake Powell.
Oh so entertaining. It's hard not to tell people about this blog!
I loved the part about the crappy hotel. I could totally imagine being there. I'm glad you splurged the next night.
Well Preachy McJudgealot, that comment must be met with defensiveness and rationalizations. I've gone to church for 6 months STRAIGHT - all 3 hours!! No breaks or going home to watch Lost. That must be like a world record or something. So this was our Trip with a capital T, and we had to cram all our activities in somehow. We learned about our pioneer heritage and Maddie got to feel the spirit with music - can you say that about your entire trip to Lake Powell even if you didn't waterski??
AND - Paul's sisters always want us to go out to eat with them on Sunday and we ALWAYS say no, because we know that Maddie understands and it would be a bad example. We also don't let them watch TV, play with friends, or swim in our pool on Sundays. SO WE ARE TRYING! So go ahead and judge, but only God knows my heart. (Oh crap......maybe I am in trouble.)
hey yeah and we also toured the conference center and got to see all the pictures and busts of the prophets. My knowledge of the prophets flowed forth into maddie's eager ears. Tears were shed, testimonies strengthened.
Like for Howard W. Hunter, Paul told the story of when I saw him speak at BYU and some crazy guy ran onto the stage and said he had a bomb.
How can you not be touched by that?? Good job Paul.
I loved reading this blog too. You are very entertaining. You don't let your kids watch tv on Sunday's? What do they do? I don't know what I would do without the Disney channel. Sunday afternoons are MY time.
It sounds like a way fun trip. I loved how you surprised the kids everywhere you went. I kind of ruined the boondocks surprise for Maddie, but tried to make up for it by telling Isabel that they got to go to the dump. She didn't buy it for a second. Sorry about the pictures! I have Mandi's memory card and haven't e-mailed them yet. LAME.
I am utterly impressed by your piousness for the last 6 months. I guess one Boondocks on Sunday can't erase all that. I stand corrected and humbled. I also repent for my McJudging. And that story about the bomb. Truly inspirational. I am sure you blessed countless lives through the telling of that story to your posterity.
haha That was funny dad.
I'm so glad I came back to read the comments!
Hey, I've got to say, I went home and watched Lost during PRIMARY. When the leader is basically babysitting crazy kids and then we have 10 minutes of very awkward talking, while we wait for the kids to come back from class. Lost is more inspiring than that.
I still fulfilled my calling. No harm done.
I was totally kidding, Heidi. If our church were closer to our house, I'd do it too.
And I guess I should clarify the no TV rule. It started out as an all day thing, but that was too hard, so it turned into a "no TV before church" thing. That was very noble when church started at 1:00, but now church starts at 9:00, and probably isn't something to brag about.
So I'm a big fat liar, so what?
The water didnt reach my belly in depth, just in spray height.
And the flatulent smell was from the bacteria-y swamp mud that I stepped in at Heritage Park.
And there is no Santa.
rrreeeaaallllyyyy
Post a Comment