I've been feeling nostalgic and wanting to make new traditions with my kids, so last night we also made my favorite Christmas cookies ever:
Yield: 4 dozen cookies
1 c. margarine or butter, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 to 1 tsp. almond extract
Food Colors
1. Mix butter and sugar in large bowl. Stir in flour and almond extract until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Divide into 3 equal parts. Tint and shape dough as directed below. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 300 F. Bake about 30 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Apples:
Mix red or green food color into part of dough. Shape into small balls. Insert small piece of cinnamon stick in top for stem end and whole clove in bottom for blossom end. Dilute red or green food color with water and brush over apples.
Apricots:
Mix red and yellow food colors into part of dough. Shape into small balls. Make crease down 1 side with a toothpick. Insert whole clove for stem end. Dilute red food color with water and brush over apricots.
Bananas:
Mix yellow food color into part of dough. Shape into 3-inch rolls, tapering ends. Slightly flatten sides to make planes of banana; curve slightly. Paint on markings with mixture of red, yellow and blue food colors diluted with water.
Oranges:
Mix red and yellow food colors into part of dough. Shape into small balls. Insert whole clove for blossom end. Prick with blunt end of toothpick for texture.
Pears:
Mix yellow food color into part of dough. Shape into small balls, then into cone shapes, rounding narrow end. Insert small piece of cinnamon stick in narrow end for stem. Dilute red food color with water and brush on "cheeks" of pears.
Strawberries:
Mix red food color into part of dough. Shape into small balls, then into heart shapes, about 3/4 inch high. Prick with blunt end of toothpick for texture. Roll in red sugar. Insert small piece of green-colored toothpick or green dough into top for stem.
Probably about something really cry-worthy, like somebody took HIS
cookie, even though there were 5 more exactly like it. Oh the humanity!
I've also been trying to remember what books I loved as a child to give to my kids for Christmas. When I was at my mom's I found one of my favorites - The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read. I thought about just sneaking it home, but it was missing some pages, so I decided to be respectable-like and buy my own. I checked for it on Amazon and there were only used ones selling as collectibles for $100! I told my mom about this and her suggestion was, in all seriousness, "Just check it out from the library and keep it. They'll only charge you like $25." Niiiiice. Sounds like a plan, Stan.

20 comments:
HA! The new plan for getting rare books: stealing.
you didnt get a shot of our awesome tree.
I'm curious about the little old man in the book. Why can't he read, is he too old? Maybe he can't see the words due to cataracts, or did he never learn in the first place? I need to know. I'm not so sure we should be pointing the long, ugly finger of judgement at little old men. The irony is that the little old illiterate man will never even know he's a famous character. And thanks for the idea for my new eBay business; "Purchase" a book for $25 from local establishment, sell for $100 online. And speaking of long, ugly finger, how's Paul?
Oh, I remember that book! I loved it, too. I might have to go steal it from the library myself. LOL.
Oh, and the cookies are darling. Thanks for the recipe. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it. Do you know that my mom will not relinquish my stocking???? My kids all have the cute Grandma knitted stockings, but not me!
Angie - I believe it! My mom kept mine for years, too, but I finally won the battle. Come on, Aunt Cindy, it's time to let it go.
Adam! I have a really good idea. I'll let you buy this book from me for the bargain basement price of $99.95. I should have it in my possession soon (as soon as I find my library card and pay all applicable fines). Then you can find out the exciting mystery of the little old man.
Alright, I'll just tell you. He never learned to read. His wife had to go away for the weekend, so he was forced to go to the store by himself. He needed spaghetti and sauce, but he came home with soap flakes and wax paper. He did not enjoy this as a meal, so it forced him to get off his old lazy butt and learn to read. I'm just now realizing what a male chauvinist pig he is making his wife do all the shopping and cooking all these years! "I can't read." What a loser.
o dont think the stockings are unusal in any way shape or form. every one else has the weird stockings. i stole mine 3 or 4 years ago. i told my parents that i wasnt giving my foot with red toes back so they got another one made. im planning on sealing angie and lindsays stackings for them
Very bad news - the library has no copies of The Little Old Man - now I've got to be very vigilant on keeping my books safe from stealers. I read it to Vivi and Van a couple of weeks ago and they wanted me to read it again - so (WARNING) I still use it! - I think I have 5 socks - 3 Mary Janes one soccor and one basketball. Who's extra one do I have? I've been thinking of making socks for everyone - more traditional ones. I guess you kids can have them back. Maybe it will motivate me to do make new ones. I used to love making the Marzapan cookies. They are so cute! I have a feeling Isabel is terrorizing Alex again. Her face looks a tad guilty. Cute cute kids!
Sorry. Already tried the steal from the library plan with a couple of out-of-print books that I love. Others have gone before us and out-of-print books are no more.....Best bet is online or Sam Wellers downtown in the basement. I found "Papa's Wife" that way. I still want an original "Lonely Doll". (I do have the re-print though) Have you got that one Pam?? Hang on to it!
What a fabulous post (as usual)! The cookies will taste the same if I just make round circles with no food coloring, right? haha. As I was reading the ingredients - I was thinking, "MAN - I could eat like TWENTY of those RIGHT NOW!!" hahaha - so, thanks for the tip. I might still, though.
I really liked that weird book growing up too. I can't believe it is a hundred dollar book now. CRAZY!! I need to know what some of Maddie's favorite books are. Has she read the InkHeart series? That's on Marissa's wish list. She's kinda hard to please sometimes, though.
I love children's books .... and cookies.
Sorry for the novel long comment. I'm excited to see you guys soon!
I LOVE those cookies, too! I had totally forgotten about them. I'm going to make them tomorrow. Mom still has my cute Mary Jane stocking... grandma is awesome for making those cute stockings. I think it's time to bring mine home, mom.
That book used to give me anxiety that someday I wouldn't be able to read and it would be the worst thing ever. What a dork I was.
MMmmmmmmmm. I really want some of those cookies. You know I won't make them.
That book was funny. I felt really bad for that guy not being able to tell the difference between spaghetti and soap flakes.
email coming
How comes the dates on the comments are formatted in European date format? I thought you posted this in October!
Now for the pertinent comment:
Did you know you can make jello in the shape of a brain? Because all you gotta have is a mold.
Those cookies look grood. I wish I wasn't on your list of people who will never get treats from you again. Are you sure I said I don't like cake? Yes, you are sure, but I still don't believe you. You misunderstood something. Probably like this:
Joel: "I am so sick of those people who think the holocaust didn't happen"
Mandi: (thinking to herself) "Holocaust? He believes that garble? I bet he doesn't like cake, too."
Joel: (Through a mouthful of cake)"Good job on the cake, Mandi. It's awesome!"
Wow! Awesome cookies! I was so impressed that I made fudge, not so much anymore. Eating twenty pieces of fudge will make you think sugar induced thoughts such as, "Hmmm, if I put candy corn in this fudge then shaped it just so... it could be the first product in a line of really yucky candy that tasted great. It's not gummy rats but..."
So yeah, I'll trade you 20 pieces of fudge for 20 fruit shaped cookies. I'd rather be sick then sugar psychotic.
My sister gets lots of used books from DI. She finds some pretty great books like Old Yeller, etc that were probably new about the time we were kidlettes. Worth a try! They're cheap at the DI too.
Isaac is super emotional right now, we should have Alex and Isaac get together. Maybe they could find something to smile at.
Oh and, love the stockings!
I forgot to mention that I just made a couple of the cookies to show the kids how to do it, and then let them make the rest. So it wasn't a lot of work. It's like playdoh, so they had a great time. I had to let go of visions of perfect fruit cookies, and allow the cars, rainbows and giant watermelons they came up with. Fun for everyone!
Susan - we should totally get Isaac and Alex together! He really needs a new friend.
Joel - the Holocaust IS a bunch of horsecrap. I agree.
Oh, and Michelle! I really don't know what Maddie likes to read. She is extremely stubborn and makes it a point to hate any book I suggest. I made her to read a Wrinkle in Time or the Westing Game - she absolutely HATES them. She loved the Twilight books. I haven't heard about the Inkwell books. I'll have to ask her.
Actually, the ones she liked that I have from my youth are the Sunfire romance ones about girls from different time periods. "Victoria" or "Danielle" or "Jacquelyn." They're set in like Chicago during the Great Depression, or the Revolutionary War, etc. They always have to decide between two handsome men. They're very innocent, and I LOVED them. I don't know if Marissa's into that kind of thing yet. But you can borrow them from me - I have quite a few.
She hated A Wrinkle In Time? Gasp!!!
I've heard the Inkwell ones are really good.
Answer Joel through gmail, or comments section on my blog? Comments section. Sorry everyone else - this is just for Joel.
Joel:
Thank you for alerting me to the date format! Europeans are dumb! I fixed it and now all is well.
I did not mean what I said about the Holocaust. Now people think I'm a Nazi and it's all your fault.
If you think you're going to blackmail me with that brain mold and get me to do your bidding in order for it to be returned, you are mistaken. Surprisingly, the demand for brain jello has lessened somewhat since October. I may need it for my Brain Injury Association summer picnic, but until then, I will live without it.
The moment you told me you didn't like cake was seared into my brainpan forever. I'm telling you: it happened. I'd like to place another bet with you, (which I will win, AGAIN) that you actually did say that. Yes, we will have to wait until we die for the answer, when we watch the replay of our lives. I will keep rewinding that part and play it in slo-mo for you, until it sounds just like your "That's in quotes, mind you" voice. It will say, "IIIIIIIII doooooonnn'tttt liiiiiiikke caaaaaakkkee. Iiiiiittt'sss toooooo sweeeeeeeeet." You will be red-faced. And then I will demand another song, but a good one this time.
Until then, I guess I can put you back on my yes-give-treats-to list. We'll start out with something I know for a fact you like more than cake: PIE. Guess deny it.
Since when are peas considered a fruit?
Since when was your butt considered a fruit?
That was a picture of my butt? Wow. Way off man. Way off.
Post a Comment