Well, I've officially bored myself. Sorry, everyone. I'll try to finish this trip within the next century.I'll mention the Hotel del Coronado briefly. (ha!) I really wanted to see it, so that's why I planned for us to go to Coronado Beach. In my planning I found a place to eat inside the hotel. The menu online had reasonable prices and delicious sushi. So after the beach we walked to the outdoor showers and tried to clean up as best as possible, then drove over to the hotel. It really is beautiful. We walked around trying to find the restaurant - walking through what looked like a fancy wedding, then through another outdoor eating place. I noticed that there were very few families around. Like none? There were swanky singles and older rich-looking couples, and I'm not kidding when I say we were getting looks. What-in-the-world-are-you-doing-here?? kind of looks. I have my bouts with paranoia, but this was real. I thought I'd found the right restaurant, so we walked over to a girl who was seating people. She led us out to this fantastic table overlooking the beach. The sun was setting - it was beautiful. She brought an extra seat and place-setting to get us all accommodated. The looks intensified. A couple who appeared to be on their honeymoon next to us were whispering and watching us. Alex burped loudly. The kids were unfolding their napkins and dropping their silverware. I was becoming very self-conscious. I opened the menu and was startled to find that this was a completely different restaurant. The menu said fancy things with large prices after them, like 50 and 70. When there are no cents in the prices, you know you're in trouble. "Uhhh....waitress? You know how we just made you rearrange this whole table to seat us? Well, we won't be staying." Honeymoon couple smiled smugly. We were embarrassed. We decided to just hightail it out of the place altogether and go to Chick-Fil-A.
The next day was Sea World. Sea World is awesome. The shows are as good as I remember, and they've added tons of new stuff and fun rides and a Sesame Street area that Oliver loved. They also handed out trick-or-treat bags and had trick-or-treat stations all over the park. During the little Sesame Street show, each one of our kids got called up on stage to do things. I think Paul's extra excited waving and pointing at them might have had something to do with it. Anyway, Sea World was definitely a highlight.
It looked like a research station in the Arctic - with Beluga
whales and a huge walrus. It was so cute! Sah. Kyut.
and they are still going strong.
Did you know that google map directions SUCK bigtime?? Head toward Cauby Street. That's not where you turn, just head that way. Oh. BECAUSE I KNOW WHERE CAUBY STREET IS. One time our directions led us in a circle around the entire block of our hotel, before getting us on our way. Helpful. On the way home from Sea World we had a direction meltdown. We ended up back in the Sea World parking lot, and had to wait in the huge line of cars leaving for the day - AGAIN. I thought Paul's head was going to explode. That night I had planned in my perfect trip itinerary to go to Denny's, since it was kids eat free Saturday, so after the parking lot fiasco, we finally found the right freeway, and I made Paul get off to find this certain Denny's that was "on the way" to Anaheim. After driving around for 1/2 hour, following my awesome google directions, we concluded that it did not exist. This made Paul insanely angry at me. I don't blame him. We saw at least 5 Denny's right off the freeway after that, but Paul wasn't having it. He was going to Anaheim and that was the end of it. Use yahoo maps. Seriously.
I support peeing on your bushes.
That night our drive from San Diego to Anaheim had some more excitement. One time Maddie asked to go the bathroom, so Paul got off the freeway. We noticed something about the California freeway system - they don't have handy signs like Utah does, telling you what businesses are at the next exit. So we had to guess. And we were 100% wrong every time. The exit we took did not have a gas station or restaurant anywhere. Paul drove through several neighborhoods, getting more and more exasperated. He finally just stopped at the "Neighborhood Church," where he and Maddie relieved themselves in the bushes - directly in front of a busy road. Thanks for the use of your facilities, Neighborhood Church! You've been great.The next day we went to Disneyland:
It was tons o' fun. I'm in love with the fast pass system. It really makes things so much better when you don't have to stand in a long line. The fireworks that night were INCREDIBLE - the best fireworks show I've ever seen! Here's the Star Wars section of them:
Then Paul, Isabel and Oliver went back to the hotel and Maddie, Alex and I stayed until midnight. We got to ride a whole bunch of rides that had been too busy during the day. I was so tired, but I'm so glad I decided to do that. It's a great memory.
Yeah. There's more. Three days more. Let it burn.

11 comments:
The guy standing in front of you at the fireworks show is my cousin. Seriously.
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha
This post has kept me laughing all afternoon. The perfectly planned family vacation - so typical. The humiliation in the Hotel Coronado is so funny - as well as the couple (not verbally, but mentally) accusing you of theft. Your trips to Sea World and Disneyland look really fun. I'm glad you had a fun trip. I think you MUST let us know about the last three days!
This was the best installment yet! I am proud of you to have the cajones (sp?) to go the fancy Hotel Coronado for a family dinner. Also to stick up for your stroller rights. I got many laughs out of this one. I can relate to Paul's exasperation with the Denny's search and trying to find a gas station at Taco Bell. Good times. Those fireworks were awesome. It sounds like a great vacation to me. Many great memories.
One trip to Disney land we had the exact same stroller as some other park visitor, only theirs was nicer; I could recognize mine by the small burn marks in the canopy. Unlucky them, after a mutual trip through Small World they took mine and I ended up with theirs.
The Denny's story had me laughing. We went to Disney one year with all seven of our kids and our friends and their six kids. After traveling all the way to Hollywood to eat at Spaghetti Factory the wait a ridiculous time so we ended up at the scary Hollywood Denny's with our thirteen children. Really not worth the kids eat free thing.
The flying Elmo pig is wrong on so many levels.
My experience of Disneyland at the age of six consisted of sitting in the lost and found 3/4 of the day waiting for my family to realize that I was missing from amongst them. Fast pass ticket to getting left alone at Tom Sawyers island. Yes, you have permission to feel sorry for now.
I'm happy that you didn't loose anyone. Really I am.
Great Great post! The "new" Sea World looks so cute and fun! Dealing with strollers is such a hassel!! How annoying to have accusers add to that.
Driving lost and on fumes is THE worst. Hilarious ... but the worst. :)
I'm going to have to get all of your plans for if we ever get to Disneyland. I can't believe how much you planned - it's awesome!
It all looks so fun - even the getting lost and driving on fumes. It wouldn't be right if you didn't have those things.
Remember our fun trip to Disneyland in the trusty Vanagon? Poor mom and dad! I get it better now that I'm a mom. I would have been swearing up a storm too.
What? I swear I commented on this. Consider this my second comment.
Cause I'm pretty sure I loved all your posts more than anyone else.
Post a Comment