she knows where the brakes are)
Isabel was hesitant to ride, because the last time my parents took her, she.......almost hit a tree and didn't know how to stop? I'm not sure, I wasn't there. I just heard that my dad swore a lot. Which I actually have no problem with. Panic swearing is completely acceptable, and even encouraged. I think the above picture of my dad and Isabel is funny, because right after I took it, she decided not to go and told me, "I kept asking Grandpa how to make it go, but he just kept showing me where the brakes were." Eventually she got over her fears, learned where the gas was, and didn't run into any trees! Hooray.
Oliver and Grandpa
Oliver LOVED it. Grandpa took him on "the rollercoaster" many times. He had the best time. He also took a couple potty breaks, as he is now an official big boy potty-er! Hooray for me! I mean him!
Awhile ago my mom promised the kids that she'd let them cook breakfast with Sterno, so that was also on the agenda. She kept mentioning what a great time she had Sterno-ing it up with the Scouts, so she wanted to do it with the kids. Later I found out that those Scouts included my brother Ike, who is nearing 30. So that could have been a good....hmm.....20 years ago? Not a good sign.
Awhile ago my mom promised the kids that she'd let them cook breakfast with Sterno, so that was also on the agenda. She kept mentioning what a great time she had Sterno-ing it up with the Scouts, so she wanted to do it with the kids. Later I found out that those Scouts included my brother Ike, who is nearing 30. So that could have been a good....hmm.....20 years ago? Not a good sign.
We got the Sterno lit, but discovered that putting the pan on it also put out the flame. So we resorted to just holding the pan over it, but after 20 minutes, the sausages were barely thawed, and the pancake batter was still batter, although slightly crusted from being out in the open air for so long.
We then tried putting sausages directly on the can of Sterno, which I do not recommend. Unless you like Sterno-flavored sausage - then by all means, please do.
Paul finally went into action and created two different cooking stations for a contest between nature and technology:
Fire/Nature
Sterno/Technology
I think the outcome is not hard to guess - Nature kicked Technology BUTT. Thank you Nature. We were hungry.
Note to self: Do not rely on mom for end-of-world cooking.
It was a fun time. Thanks mom and dad. Oliver was sad to leave:

9 comments:
Very nicely described WT four wheeler outing. I did not swear a lot! Only when Alex about hit a tree, and maybe a couple of other times. Sorry, I can't swear at work and sometimes it just slips out when I'm in the telestial sphere.
I think it is funny that Isabel didn't go because I wouldn't tell her where the "go" lever was. I wanted her to know how to stop before she learned how to go. Funny. Those pictures of Oliver are way cute. The other pictures almost make 5 mile canyon (where you hide dead bodies) look pretty, weird. My Rasmussen ancestors were very proud that we were out in the dust and dirt having a WT breakfast with Sterno mom.
What's up with oliver's sunflower? He's so stinkin cute = i can't stand it.
I'm glad Isabel got over her four wheeling fears! That can be trauma.
Those pancakes look yum. I laughed at the not relying on mom for end-of-world cooking. I have to say though, mom is a good cook- Sunday dinners are pretty dang tasty.
Maybe Isabel still has trauma from running into the car with the go-cart last summer...I know I still do. And we didn't even get to cook on the sterno to get the trauma down. We did get to cut the heads off of chickens though! You don't get that at 5 mile canyon. At least not in the day time...
Yeah, Jaime - I should have clarified about Mom's cooking. She's an awesome cook - much better than me, in fact. I'll just have to make sure I bring fire....
Nan - I forgot about Isabel's wreck at your house! I don't think I'm going to let her drive. Ever.
I love the cute look on Oliver's face when he is on the 4 wheeler with Grandpa. He is such a sweetie - you can't get much cuter!
hahaha. That looks like so much fun! I loved the whole cooking story -- hilarious.
Great job on potty training!! I completely believe that Mom's deserve ALL the credit for that. haha. Unless, of course - the kid takes forever and ever to figure it out ... then, the problem is entirely the childs ... or something like that.
Great post - as usual.
We have all decided that you are the funniest person alive (all of us that went up to Coalville). Hey, Randy swears? I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I am a huge under the breath swearer these days. It's a hard habit to break (sung to the tune of Chicago).
You know, that used to be a dang good place to hide dead bodies, but then campers and 4-wheeler-ers like y'all have ruined its appeal. Actually, I stumbled upon this article while trying to find out where five mile canyon is, since your description seemed similar to getting to my house. I believe this story proves that there is no safe place to hide a dead body. In case you were wondering.
Anyway, I agree with the above opinions that you're hilarious. I love reading your blog.
Thanks Tracy. Good to know.
Post a Comment