For a while now I've been meaning to take Alex and Isabel to a speech therapist. They both have a lisp and can't say their r's - the same problems Paul had as a young lad. Paul's speech teacher's name was Mrs. Sodder (or "Mithuth Thoddow," to her students), and he remembers how she made him watch her teeth and lips as she pronounced words correctly and how much he hated the sight of her mouth.Anyway, the other day I got a call from the speech teacher at Alex and Isabel's school saying that their teacher referred them to her, and that I needed to come in and sign some papers. So I went to a meeting with Miss Hackworth (of "rammed up rectum" fame), the principal and the speech teacher. During the meeting I was given this booklet:

and was told that they did indeed qualify for Special Ed. Mmmkay. Apparently somewhere between the ages of 2 and 7, a lisp goes from "cute" to "disabled." I was not aware.

10 comments:
it will always and forever be cute
Gasp!! That's horrible! It's cute and always will be! And from what I have seen of your cuties - they are far from disabled.
I am so mad at those teachers. Jerks.
I can't believe they were that blunt. How rude. I love your kids just the way they are.
I hope you go through all those "Procedural Safeguards" to make sure you are protecting your little disables.
They actually weren't rude at all. I just thought it was funny.
You never think that kids that are so smart and clever could be labeled disabled! I remember when we were heading in to see Oliver after his birth and Alex was singing The Pwiesthood is Westowed. It was pure delight - so cute. I say private speech therapy - don't put them in special ed.
By the way whatever happened to cute was it Cindy?
Just about anything can be labeled as disabled. Do you get the special parking spots now?
hahahaha. I have MANY copies of that lovely booklet due to speech therapy for my kiddos.
:)! Truly, though - the tricky r sound at age 10 is QUITE annoying. Hopefully Marissa conquers it this year. She's close! ;)
You should have Uncle Brent tell you the "Lipstick" story from his childhood. Hilarious!
I am surprised - I guess I'm so used to the way they talk that they sound normal to me. I bet Kobe will be disabled in a few years. Right now his lisp is the cutest, but in a few years... not.
Post a Comment