4.17.2007

Need Advice

I need help. We've been finishing our playhouse, and due to my obsessive compulsive nature, my inability to pick paint colors and my indecisiveness, I can't stop changing the paint colors on the outside. I KNOW it's just a playhouse. If I hear "it's just a playhouse" one more time, I will....I don't know what I'll do, but that bugs me. I still want it to be cute - it's outside where everyone can see it. Before I started it was all the same color - house, door, window trims, everything. But the trims were peeling badly and we had to replace the door. I couldn't find a good match for that color, so I thought I'd give it "character" instead. I wanted it to look like a Swiss cottage, or something. First the trim was a tannish color, the door was light green, and the bench was red. (I don't have a picture of that.) Then I went to a darker brown and darker green, and a green bench. I thought that looked too garish, so I painted the door that tannish color. I still don't like it. Now I'm debating if I should just paint all the trims and the door white, so it will be neutral and not clash with anything. And Maddie wants to paint the bench purple. Help me, I can't stop! I know a lot of you are awesome decorators, so I would love your input. Thanks.


I think this green looks better in the picture. It's a little brighter in person.


Now.

18 comments:

Loud Boy said...

Shutters and a fancy redwood deck should do the trick!

Pam and Rand said...

I love the green door - not at all garish - totally Swiss Cottage. The tan is cute though too - quit obsessing!! I can't believe how cute it is!

heidi said...

I want to come and look at it - with the house and everything - I can't decide without looking at that. Loud boy is really good at that kind of stuff.

heidi said...

Super cute, by the way. I can't believe how much work you've put into it.

Loud Boy said...

Thanks for the nice words Heidi!

tiffanie said...

I understand about obsessing over color. If I hear " Its just a wedding" one more time I will freak out too. It looks way cute, just go with it.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly. I appreciate the pics of the houses - really I do, but I've already looked at one million on my own. I guess I forgot to explain how sick of painting I am. I'm NOT painting the entire house a different color. Just the door and the trims. So I have to stick with that yellowish color. I just want everyone to tell me: "I think you should paint the trims white" or "that brown is ugly, you should paint it _____." Come on, people! Make a decision for me! I finally got Loudboy to tell me what he would do - and it was a very good idea about the shutters. I think I'll do that. Thanks Loudboy! You are good at this stuff. Now come build those shutters for me.

nan said...

You need to decide if you want it to stand out or blend in with the yard. The main color of the house is already quite nutreal. If you paint the door and trim white you will not only have a very nutreal house but also the problem with dirty kids and outside grime showing up very easily. A deep green would go well if you still want to blend with the yard but not show the mess of kids use, and it would be better to go deeper with the color instead of lighter. Our tree house is a pale tannish yellow with red trim. Granted I live in the middle of nowhere so I have no worries about everyone seeing it but I had this same dilemma and ended up with these colors because in the end it would look great in a big green leafy tree and stand out instead of blend in.

If you are really struggling..Take your picture, make Paul put it into photoshop and keep changeing the colors of the door and trim until you get something you really love. And take in to consideration all the things that will be around this lovely structure and don't forget to have fun. Now is that Home and Garden enough for you? Good Luck! and keep us posted.

Loud Boy said...

Just let me know what size you want the shutters to be and I will build them. You have to paint them. (seriously I will). But, you are on your own for the redwood deck.

Anonymous said...

(GASP!) NUH-UH!! Seriously?? That is way too nice. Now I'll feel guilty for badgering you into making them. Are you sure? How will I repay you? Can I buy you a farting machine??

You're the awesomest, but really you don't have to. (That would be the best ever.) So don't feel pressured. (Start on them NOW.) Only if you really want to... (Now where are those measurements...?) haha Seriously, thank you for offering. You're so sweet.

And when you're done with those, I'll say, "Awww...no redwood deck?" with a pout and an eye flutter. I've got it all planned out.

Nanette - thanks for that advice! That really did help. I like the dark green idea a lot.

Whoo-hoo! It takes a blog village to make a cute playhouse.

Christopher Bigelow said...

Green door.

Loud Boy said...

YES SERIOUSLY! That is why I typed the word (seriously) in the first place. Did you think that I was kidding? You should feel guilty for badgering me, you are a mean woman. I already have a farting machine so don’t repay me with one (be creative, surprise me).
I am the very most awesomest, and I know it. I know that I don’t have to make you shutters, I want to! (what style do you want? Keep it simple) So get me the measurements . . . I’m waiting . . . still waiting . . . Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz.
You can Awww and pout and flutter you eye all dang day, I am NOT going to build you a redwood deck. So change your plans.

GREEN? NO, NO, NO! IT HAS TO STAND OUT. GREEN WILL MAKE IT BLEND INTO THE BACKGROUND! IT MUST STOUND OUT, IT MUST BE IN THE RED FAMILY (red, or no shutters)! or maybe dark brown, but not blue that would be very bad.

wahwee said...

Thanks for the offer Mandi, but we already have a farting machine. It's Gary.

Anonymous said...

haha That's so true, Valerie. (Sorry Gary.)

It was the twins' birthday today, so we've been busy spending 3 headache-inducing hours at Chuck E. Cheese. Glad that's over.

Ok...the measurements. They would be 25 1/2"L by about 9" wide. And...did I mention the other window on the side? (hee hee) You don't have to make ones for that, but if you were really bored, it would be 35" x about 10-11". Purely optional. I am SO NOT PICKY about the style. I think those ones on the houses you sent me are cute - the 3 board thingys with the top and bottom cross bars. Those look simple. But beggars can't be choosers and I know I'm the beggar here. I will love anything.

Really, red? I don't know if I'm brave enough for red. But I like that strong opinion! Gives me something to think about. Maybe I'll have Paul photoshop it so I can see. Good idea, Nan.

Thanks again Mike!! A million thanks!!!!!

Montgomery Q said...

I think dark brown trim everywhere, including the door and bench. It would go nicely with reddish brown shutters and the reddish brown roof.

Or bluish/charcoal trim, like this place http://www.villageofcheshire.com/forsale/builders.html

sugarbritches said...

I vote barn red door

Anonymous said...

I think you can use bright colors on a playhouse much easier than a regular house because it is smaller and so it needs some color. I vote for a green door and a red bench or a red door and green bench.

Jaime said...

You should drive up to Midway and see the fun things they do to there cute Swiss houses. You could do so many things! I can't wait to see it finished.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com