For those who have confessed to feelings of social awkwardness, I thought I would report on my recent attempt at Enrichment night. I haven't been for months, because I just can't make myself go. But the Enrichment leader is very persistent and she always makes personal calls to me saying, "I haven't seen you in a long time! PLEASE try to come this time. It will be so much fun!" She's really nice, and I was starting to feel like a jerk for never going. She actually wrote my name on the list for me this month, and I assured her I would go. (I told you she's persistent!)We were supposed to meet in some lady's backyard and have dinner from 6:30 - 7:00 and then split up into classes. I made sure I was about 15 minutes late, so the dinner/socializing time would be over quickly. Everyone was very nice and friendly when I got there. I don't know why I'm such a chicken to go to these things - everyone in our ward is extremely nice. Anyway, I hate the part where I have to pick somewhere to sit. It looked like one table was already full, so I headed for the half empty one.
Anyway, so I sit next to this Mexican girl on the empty side of the table. I tried to strike up a conversation with her, but everything I asked her, she'd give me one word answers and then silence. So I gave up after about 30 seconds. The funny thing was I realized how I knew her - or knew OF her, I should say. She and her husband are a young couple living with her father, and Paul was their home teacher for awhile. She had a baby and he was supposed to take them dinner. So of course it fell on me to remember and we both completely forgot until about a half hour after we were supposed to take it. We flew into an absolute PANIC wondering what to take to them. So we raced to Harmon's and were just chucking stuff into the cart - a roasted chicken, salad, rolls, jello, fruit, a big package of cookies, etc. It came to about $25. Retarded! But at that point we didn't care. We thought the cookies looked good, so we bought a package for ourselves. I also rustled up a baby gift for her. It was totally out of control. So Paul took all this crap in and I guess they were kind of mad that he was late, and they didn't even say thank you or anything.....it was just a weird situation. We got home and realized we never took our package of cookies out of the bag. So we had given them two huge packages of cookies along with a buttload of other food. I'm sure they thought we were insane. Anyway, I didn't want to remind her of that, so I just kept quiet.
I was worried I was just going to be sitting by myself the whole time, but an older lady I know came over and another older lady came and then two women sat down who looked my age. It seemed ok for a little bit, until I realized the two women my age were actually deaf and signing to each other. The older ladies began having their old lady conversations, and the Mexican girl was deep in conversation with another Mexican lady sitting by her. Huh. Begin the thumb-twiddling. I guess everyone else was having such a great time, they didn't get the classes started for another half hour. Meanwhile I'm in the fetal position sucking my thumb.
FINALLY the classes started. I had chosen to do this pumpkin/turkey craft thing. Suddenly my table was filled with a bunch of women that were actually my age and hearing ability. We worked long into the darkness making our little turkeys and it actually turned out to be a pretty fun time. It was a rough beginning, but in the end I'm glad I went.

5 comments:
Oh the pain of enrichment night - yes I've experienced very similar fun evenings myself. I would usually head home when the class splits - so I'm glad you had a good ending. That dinner is hillarious! I've forgotten totally a couple of times - so embarrassing and lame. Next time think - $5.00 hot and ready Lil Ceasars. I can't believe they weren't somewhat gracious about getting their dinner when you guys went to so much trouble. Lame O's!
So happy to see a new post, Mandelbaum. I've made several vows never to go to Enrichment night ever again, but now that's it's only 4 times a year, it doesn't seem that bad...unless they're playing get to know you games...then I will definitely stay home.
I'm glad it ended up good. It's so awkward when you sit down by a bunch of people and then realize you're still all alone.
I am so impressed with your Enrichment leader. When I was the leader, I never cared who came or didn't. I was just trying to pull something together at the last minute every month. That was a hard calling! I have to say, I go to Enrichment every time now. It's not uncomfortable anymore. Go figure.
Sounds like a stupendous evening. I used to hate to go to conferences and go to the lunches where you knew no one. I finally realized that if you go and forget about yourself and focus on finding out about the others who are there, it is much less awkward and I would actually have a pretty good time. Enrichment night has got to go! Somebody needs to make a call to the First Presidency. I'm sure glad we don't have a lame meeting like that. Nobody would show up unless they played basketball or something.
That's too funny, two deaf ladies and two ladies who spoke the same language. What a fun treat! And they wonder why I don't go. But your ending usually ends the same for me. I always end up having an ok time and I say to myself, "why was this so hard for me? It was kind of fun, i'll do it again." Then next month comes and we start over again.
Post a Comment