9.19.2012

Patch McGillicutty

I know I said I would suddenly do tons of posts and catch up.  Sometimes I say things I don't mean.  Maybe I still will.  This summer kicked my butt.  Maybe I'll post about that sometime.  Maybe not.

Here's something else, though.  I was asked to play the organ for a funeral the other day.  The guy that died was an old guy in my ward.  I recognized his name, but couldn't picture what he looked like.  When I asked for a description I was told that he wore an eyepatch.  It seems like I'd notice someone wearing an eyepatch at church, but this did not help me.  Come to think of it, I don't really know any of the old men in my ward.  Maybe because I'm in the Young Women?  Not part of my demo.

I showed up 20 minutes early to play prelude, which is pretty amazing for me.  I thought I'd have plenty of time to figure out the organ (it's been awhile), but lots of people were already there, so I went into panic-mode and just settled on some weird pre-set stops that weren't overly loud.  This story isn't about my failure as an organist (but I definitely have one of those to share at another time.....). I bring this up because in my panic, I forgot to get a program, which would have been hugely helpful in knowing when I was supposed to play, but also because I wanted to see a picture of the guy everyone was talking about.

Everyone loved this guy, seems like.  His son and daughters spoke, and several of his grandchildren.  They were sweet.  They all reiterated certain themes about this man's characteristics.  He was a perfectionist.  His garage was so clean you could have a picnic on the floor.  His motto was, "If you take care of your things, they will take care of you."  His fridge was 55 years old and still running.  His carpet was 30 years old and still in great shape.  His cars never broke down.  He was adamant about being on time, and actually if you were "on time" instead of early, you were late.  He was up at the crack of dawn everyday and he worked all day long.  He never sat down.  Even at the end of his life when he was not very lucid, no one could make him sit down.  He loved to work.

As I sat there listening, I was thinking, "It's like I have a twin!"  Actually, I was wondering what my funeral would sound like on those same topics.  "She was always late, and I'm talking ALWAYS.  If she was ever on time, it was purely accidental."  "You could have a picnic on the floor of her garage, if you didn't mind sitting on a whole lot of crap."  "She was the absolute best at sitting!   She could watch TV for hours uninterrupted."  So maybe his talents are not my strong suits.  We all have different things we're good at, right?  Actually, a couple kids/grandkids mentioned how he threatened them with his belt.  I can proudly say that I have never done that.  (I rarely wear belts.)  Take that, perfect old guy!

"She was weirdly competitive with old men that have died."

I went home and found a picture of him online.  Still didn't recognize him.  Covered one of his eyes and.........nope, still nothing.  But I want to thank that guy for magnifying my faults and making me sad.  I mean, helping me recognize some ways I can improve myself!  Yay!

Midlife crisis begins now.  :)  :)  :)  :/

9 comments:

sinika said...

That's funny- because as I read this post I was thinking how completely opposite of this guy I was. Glad I'm not the only one.

Also- I went to my uncle's funeral last weekend and his kids talked about how gentle and kind he was... I'd rather be like that. (Even if I'm not quite there yet either, at least it's something worth striving for... who likes to eat picnics in garages anyway?)

mandi said...

You're so right, Sinika. Once again, I ♥ you. Congrats on the baby in your tummy!!

Joel said...

Posts like this are what makes this an award winning blog. Are you sure this guy was in your ward? Maybe he was from one of the other wards in the building and they just got lucky when they asked you to play organ. This seems reasonable.

Pat and Brent said...

I was so excited when I saw a new blog from you. You are so wise. Love your insights and the way you present them. Please blog about all the things you think needs its own story!

Angie said...

You better hope I die first, because if will have some great stories to tell at your funeral. If I can still remember them by then. ;) Better start writing them down now. You are fantastic!

Pam and Rand said...

Ha-great post! I refuse to believe my baby girl could be old enough for a mid life crisis!

Mandi said...

Thank you for your super sweet comments, Aunt Pat and Angie. You guys are nice.

Boy Mom said...

Dude, kept a can of beer he didn't drink at a sleepover when he was 7 or something. He brought it to church for an object lesson in a talk he gave. When he passed I kept thinking, "who gets the antique beer?"

You are completely hilariously awesome and I miss you. I hope fall is easier on you.

Natalie said...

You are such a talented writer. I am trying to get my blog going again and had to read your post! Loved this post. I was just thinking as I was watching netflix while doing laundry.....that I am a whole lotta like the Malcolm in the Middle mom. And proud of it. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com