6.22.2010

Recent Failures:

*The new Shabu Shabu restaurant in Orem. It looks like it's gonna be good, but then you find out that you're expected to cook your own food. The gay Asian waiter takes you painstakingly through the steps, warns you not to overcook your chicken, and then tells you to "Have fun!" Wow, I never get to make food for anyone! What a blast! Then you're supposed to dip your overcooked, bland, rubbery chicken (yes - I cooked it longer than the suggested 2 minutes - uh, salmonella?) and veggies into two dipping sauces - soy sauce or a yuck peanut sauce. Mmm....tastes like my cooking, except way worse. I can pay $15 for this? Yay. Then once you've choked down your tasteless meal and feel full, they tell you to put these big, fat, blah noodles in the pot you just cooked your chicken in, to make an enormous bowl of flavorless noodle soup. What? I didn't think this dinner could get more unappealing, but the noodle soup dessert course sent me skyrocketing into super confused territory. Yeah, it's a traditional Japanese dinner, but it's also really stupid. And gross. EPIC FAIL.

*The new Pizza 712 restaurant in Orem. I heard from a lady in our ward that it was really good. She's Irish, so maybe that has something to do with it? I felt like I had lost an integral part of my brain whilst reading the menu. I could not figure it out. I stared at it for like 5 minutes with no significant progress. It was trying to be all cool and hip, but it was just insanely confusing. It was just a brown piece of paper, with everything typed in lowercase letters, with no appropriate spacing to designate what the crap they were offering. Like this:

greens.....
clifford farms arugula, english peas, pickled carrot, hand pulled mozzarella, basil vinaigrette
savoy spinach, house smoked bacon, crouton, pickled shallot, whole grain mustard viaigrette, goat cheese

pizza.....
tomato sauce, hand pulled mozzarella, basil
roasted corn, roberts mushrooms, leek, house smoked provolone
potato, red onion, parmesan, ricotta
speck, sopressata, garlic, tomato sauce, mozzarella
tomato sauce, scallion oregano, serrano chile, hand pulled mozzarella, farm egg
house made sausage, fennel, roasted pepper, tomato sauce, mozzarella

CHOICES! What the crap are you talking about. I can have a farm egg on my pizza? Speck?? OH. It was insanely overpriced, and for all the fancy schmancyness, it wasn't very good. Fail.

*My nose hair trim. I got some new trimmers and went nuts, shaving my nostrils bald. Turns out my nose hairs have a purpose besides grossing me out. I've been sneezing non-stop ever since, and my nostrils are all itchy and painful. Fail.

*The wasp trap I bought. It was a newfangled disposable one. I read the instructions, set it up, and waited for the wasps to flock to their death. A couple days later I decided to notice it again, and was like, "Eeeew, there are tons of flies in it, gross." The next day I noticed a very bad stench hanging around our patio area. It smelled like rotting garbage. That's when I looked.....I mean REALLY looked at the wasp trap. It looked like this:


FLY TRAP. In big letters. With the pooiest-garbage-scented attractant around. Thanks eyes, for forgoing the reading part of that purchase. Maybe I really am missing a part of my brain.

14 comments:

Joel said...

When you say that the wasp trap looked like the picture, do you mean in every sense? I think I understand that you purchased a fly trap thinking it was a wasp trap and that the words "Fly trap" clued you to this misfortune, but my head is buzzing with unanswered questions:
Once) Was your bag as full as the one in the picture?
Brace) Is the picture your actual trap that you photographed or did you find a gross photo online and copy it?
taste) See the fly at the top on the center of the yellow plunger/hook?
both) If yes, what's his story?
emancipate) Is the lack of details in this section so you can write a sequel?

Joel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Prilla said...

Well at least it was catching the flies. Those are annoying too. Boo to the rest of the failures. Thanks for the heads up.

mandi said...

Joel:

Sigh. Now you've done it. Nice job breaking my comments.

No, that is not a pic of the actual fly trap, and no it was not that full. That one fly is intriguing, though. Possible subject of my next Spanish novella, "La Mosca de Los Noches en el BaƱo de Bizcocholante."

Joel said...

I FIXED your comments and that despite my lack of responsibility for their breakage. Hello, gratitude. >:'(

acte gratuit said...

I currently live in Japan and I haven't had anything nearly that nasty. So I'm going to second you on the "Fail" part, but not the "authentic Japanese" part! Authentic Oremese, maybe...!

Pam and Rand said...

Your failures are too funny to be too sad. The cook your own food restaurant would make me feel more angry than failing. I wonder who wrote the menu for the pizza place. Is hand pulled mozzerella like hand pulled taffy? Pickled shallots might be OK - but pickled carrots? I'll try be careful with the nose hair trimmer. The fly trap (as with Joel) had me quite mystified. WTH? It's given me a great laugh! Thanks.

Michelle said...

Laughing and more laughing. Is that horrible? Those "fails" are quite comical. I hate spending money on food that isn't great. I also hate nose hair. ;) Good luck with the wasps.

Looking forward to seeing y'all this week!

Boy Mom said...

You make me laugh!

Hand pulled mozzarella, pickled carrots, a farm fresh egg, and Roberts mushrooms is my favorite combination.

sinika said...

Ah, Hell Don- that fly trap makes me gag! I'm glad yours wasn't as full. And I don't know why but it makes me laugh to think of you trimming your nose hairs!!

P.S. My hubby is all excited to go to that Japanese place since he spent two years there- even after your review...???

sinika said...

Two years in Japan- not at the restaurant...

mandi said...

Sinika -

Your comment made me laugh! You'll have to let me know what you think of that restaurant.....maybe I'm just a horrible cook.

Angie said...

You're funny, Mandi. Sorry I'm late to reading the post. Those restaurants sounds really...um...interesting.

rachel said...

All I can say (1 month after the post), Mandi you crack me up,and I am going to miss you oh so much. And I am so happy that I could introduce Mandi and Sinika... You 2 need to meet in person! Maybe at the japanese restaurant?

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com