7.19.2008

dianebrowning

Yesterday Paul's work bought a bunch of tickets for all the designers to see Batman. I think it counted as their summer party? Not sure. There were 3 tickets left over and I was one of the lucky spouses who won the random drawing to go with them. It was a reeealllly good movie. It lives up to the hype, if you like dark and scary, and I do.

Maddie had gone camping with my parents, so I needed someone to babysit the smallers while I went to this movie. Paul called his mom to come over. I am just now realizing how little she has tended for us over the years. It's extremely rare. We usually have Maddie tend, now that she's old enough, or my mom or Paul's sister. Paul's mom just doesn't seem very.......hmmm.....maternal? Which is weird, because she has SIX kids (although she's not shy about saying that most of them were accidents.....but I digress). Anyway, she was the only child of a very controlling/unloving mother, so I have a feeling this is where her parenting style may have its roots. She's very nice to the kids - talks to them, jokes with them, takes them to movies, buys them birthday gifts......knows their names.....now that's got to count for something. She's just not overly.....lovey.

So she comes to babysit a half hour early (as usual) and I'm still getting ready to go. She says, "So I need to know what you DO with the kids. What am I supposed to DO." Uh....they can play outside, or in the house. Here's a box full of bubbles and paper and chalk and things to make and play with. "Ok," she says, "If I get bored I might take them to my house to watch Dorothy move in." Ok - sounds great. When I left, she was sitting on the kitchen table looking bored and watching TV.

Paul and I watched the crap out of Batman, and came home to an empty house. So we headed to his mom's and the first thing she said was, "I forgot to tell you that I'm the worst babysitter in the world. I also forgot to tell you that I always take a nap at 3:00." Hmmm. "So I just laid on your kitchen floor and slept." Um, ok? Wait.....the hard tile floor?? Why didn't you sleep on the couch in the next room? "Oh, I don't know. I was just right there, so I just laid there. I was a little worried that the kids would see me and think I was dead, but it didn't seem to bother them." And later she said, "At one point someone was really screaming downstairs - I don't know who it was, but I figured if they could scream that loud, they must be alright because they're obviously still breathing. You might want to go down and check on them - I haven't checked on them at all, and I never changed Oliver's diaper." huh. OK! Are you sure you're the worst babysitter in the world?? Come on, don't be so hard on yourself.

Aaahh....memories. The first time I met Diane, it was Paul's birthday, and she had swiped a cake from the Orem High Home Ec. Dept. (she was a math teacher there) that said, "HAPPY BIRTDAY" (yes, misspelled), with a slice already eaten out of it. Is that super funny or is it just me? And a couple months later during her talk at Paul's farewell she said, "I don't think missions change people - you know what they say: garbage in, garbage out." My friend Julie quoted that for years with tears of laughter in her eyes.

Dianebrowning. Mother of Paulbrowning. It gives you a glimpse into the being that is Paul, doesn't it?

14 comments:

tiffany said...

wow thst is amazing. i now understand paul alittle more. that is funny about the cake. and the mission thing too.

heidi said...

Oh Mandi. I love you.

It's funny to read that knowing Diane a little bit. She's great. So I assume your kids are alive and well?

Good to hear about Batman. It was Ryan's favorite movie of all time.

Montgomery Q said...

Wait-she told me we were ALL accidents.

Michelle said...

Holy COW! That would stress me out so bad.

I'm way excited to see batman!

Pam and Rand said...

Diane is hillarious - she is definately laid back, but you can't tell me she'd let anything horrible happen. I need to learn to chill a little more and not get stressed as much. I'm surprised she would use that quote at Paul's farewell. Just who was she referring to? Did she have other older missionary children? You'd have to be laid back to let grown children keep moving back in with you.

nan said...

Funny thing... even though Pauls parents are divorced and Larry is the relative..our family always hangs out with Diane. Go figure.

Prilla said...

Glad to hear your kids survived grandma babysitting. I can't believe she took a nap on the tile. Weird.

Jaime said...

Mother-in-laws rock, huh? That is so funny. I love how honest Diane is - she tells it like it is.

By the way... a guy in our ward worked with Paul at Logo works. He told us about the golf tourni with Paul in his oh-so-hot golf outfit. He also grew up in Jed's ward when they were in high school. Jed dated BOTH of his older sisters and they spent some time with Jody and Jan. hmmm.

CARRIE "THE FABULOUS" said...

Batman is AWESOME!! And actually Heath Ledger did AMAZING.

Sara said...

haaaaaaaaaaa!!! too funny...diane on the tile, paul in our tub. it's all making sense now.

rachel said...

I have to agree with April... the nap on the tile is the weirdest part! I love that she was concerned that the kids would think she was dead, but that didn't stop her!

Larry and Cindy said...

Hi Mandi Girl, well I must say you have many funny experiences. Some-
times I take a nap while tending my grandkids but I always make sure Papa is around. I'm alittle more nervous about their safety but I'm glad the kids were safe and sound when you got home. I don't know Diane but I know Paul and you can't know Paul without loving him!!! Love To You All, Aunt Cindy

Larry and Cindy said...

Hi Mandi Girl, well I must say you have many funny experiences. Some-
times I take a nap while tending my grandkids but I always make sure Papa is around. I'm alittle more nervous about their safety but I'm glad the kids were safe and sound when you got home. I don't know Diane but I know Paul and you can't know Paul without loving him!!! Love To You All, Aunt Cindy

eric said...

oh, wow, this was awesome

mandoo IS dandoo

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com