
Last Saturday Orem held their yearly Summerfest, which is a celebration about living in Orem, I guess. Orem! WOOT! Paul took the kids to the carnival to enjoy the rides. I think they had fun, until Maddie and Alex rode the Zipper. The picture above probably tells the rest of the story. Maddie threw up during it, and Alex threw up soon after getting out of it. So they came home pale and sickly.
Summerfest always includes a parade in the evening, and Alex and Isabel were supposed to march in it with their school choir. The parade is never that great, but they always hand out tons of coupons, which I LOVE, and candy which the kids LOVE. But the thought of fighting the crowds, dropping them off, picking them up, and being in the heat of a fairly lame parade was uninviting. So I suggested going to Vivian Park to fish and the kids gladly chose that instead. They took a fishing class last year and have loved fishing ever since. So we took some food and had a picnic and it was beautiful and uncrowded and LOVELY. A pat on the back for me.
Then at 10pm there were fireworks. We can see them from our porch perfectly, but Paul always insists that we go to his mom's house to watch them. She lives about 4 blocks away from us, right next to the City Center, but there are always tons of cars and people, and I hate getting stuck in the traffic jams. "Would Francis Scott Key have been inspired to write the Star Spangled Banner if he weren't right in the middle of bombs bursting in air?" asks Paul. So we went to his mom's. The fireworks were really good, but we didn't get in the car fast enough when they ended, so we got caught in the huge traffic jam. We were just waiting there in a long line of cars, saying hi to people we knew as they walked by. There was a group of college-aged guys on one side of us, and one of them started handing out coupons to all of his friends. I got all excited for a coupon, and he came up to our car with lots of enthusiasm as he handed us our coupon - "Hey guys - free tickets!!" and handed us this:

10 comments:
I was hoping you would mention how we got the coupon-givers attention. We were driving very slowly next to them and I kept saying in a loud voice "I like coupons....coupons are the best" hoping I would get some and I got all excited when he turned around and gave me one.
Mandi can we go use that coupon today?
Wow. That coupon is the perfect ending to a great day. I have to tell Gary to look at this.
Having thrown up twice at Lagoon, I feel Alex and Maddie's pain. Ugh. Having sticky throw-up legs is not cool.
PMP about Oliver's awesome shirt becoming sarcastic. That is hilarious. Luke's awesome shirt is still pretty sincere. Maybe we can borrow Oliver's bigger one when it becomes sarcastic. Mia totally needs one.
When Alex told me the sad tale of Orem days my heart went out to him. No fun being sick. You were smart to do the fishing instead of the parade. Smart mom! That shirt worn sarcastically is so funny. In my opinion he is still sincere. He's too cute to be sarcastic. That will come MUCH later.
That coupon is a keeper.
Did you really drive 4 blocks?
Maybe it's more like....10 blocks away. Is that more acceptable of a distance to not walk?
GHB! Yes, much better.
I sat and watched my little sisters ride the zipper at summerfest. it made me nauseous and I was just watching.
Yes that is an awesome coupon!! I am suprised Paul was not passing them out...
wow sounds like fun. were can i get a coupon like that? i need it for the creepy guy i meet the other day.
i want an awesome shirt...
Post a Comment